Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Models' eyes "sunken in"?

MikeV

Just a quick question...

I'm opening up the different models that come with A:M to sorta get a feel for how they're put together, and to marvel at how you can accomplish so much with so little using patches versus polys or even SubD surfaces.

I am wondering, though, why is it that with some of the models (Kee Kat, the Rabbit and I think one other I was looking at), the eyes are sorta "sunken in" inside the characters' heads? I notice that when you bring them into Choreography, that's not the case. Only in the model view.

Can someone explain why this is? Is there a specific reason for it?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
I am wondering, though, why is it that with some of the models (Kee Kat, the Rabbit and I think one other I was looking at), the eyes are sorta "sunken in" inside the characters' heads? I notice that when you bring them into Choreography, that's not the case. Only in the model view.

I believe Keekat uses a trick to have non-spherical eyes that can still rotate the pupil in different directions.

Basically, it's modeled and rigged as a sphere but then the eyeball and bone are scaled in one axis to flatten the whole structure. The pose that does that can only be active in a Chor or Action.

I believe Keekat uses a trick to have non-spherical eyes that can still rotate the pupil in different directions.

Basically, it's modeled and rigged as a sphere but then the eyeball and bone are scaled in one axis to flatten the whole structure. The pose that does that can only be active in a Chor or Action.

Ahh, interesting. Can't say that fully makes sense to me right now. But I'm sure once I'm more familiar with Choreography and Action, it will. Will be a cool "a ha!" moment when it clicks.

Ahh, interesting. Can't say that fully makes sense to me right now. But I'm sure once I'm more familiar with Choreography and Action, it will. Will be a cool "a ha!" moment when it clicks.

If you have the Extras DVD and are curious, there's a tutorial on how those types of eyes are done in there;

Extras DVD > Tutorials > Bootcamp > Eye Tut.html

If you don't have a copy, its well worth getting one as its a veritable goldmine of info and will repay the time spent in exploring its hidden ways and secrets.

If you have the Extras DVD and are curious, there's a tutorial on how those types of eyes are done in there;

Extras DVD > Tutorials > Bootcamp > Eye Tut.html

If you don't have a copy, its well worth getting one as its a veritable goldmine of info and will repay the time spent in exploring its hidden ways and secrets.

I do have that DVD, actually. I've been meaning to copy it all to my HD so I can load stuff up, and because you need the A:M disc in the drive when using it, so I couldn't have both in at the same time.

Thanks for the tip!

I'm a long ways off from being ready for that kinda stuff, but it's good to have a reference when I'm ready to tackle it.

I do have that DVD, actually. I've been meaning to copy it all to my HD so I can load stuff up, and because you need the A:M disc in the drive when using it, so I couldn't have both in at the same time.
I made an ISO file out of the Extras DVD, and then use WinCDEmu to mount it as a drive. I believe that uses less disk space than having a copy of all of the individual files.