Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Surface glow not working in render

fae_alba

Can't give too many specifics since I'm at work right now but I thought I'd get this out there...

I was working on a scene last night (v16.0b 64 bit) and had a model with only one group, with the glow surface property set to on. If I do a screen render in the model window the model glows quite nicely.

If I drop that model into a chor and render to an avi file, there is sadly no glowing. Anyone know of a quick workaround? What I'm working on doesn't need fancy dancy solutions,is a quick down and dirty bit for the tech conference I'm attending so I'm perfectly willing to lit it slide, but glowing things look nicer than non-glowing so if I could get it to work, I'd be a happy camper.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Glow is rendering here in 16b. Try this sample PRJ and render preset

GlowTest.prj

Glow.pre

A workaround is to do a second render with the object set to all white and 100% ambiance intensity on against a black background. In a compositing app, blur that and composite it on top of a regular non-glowing render.

A compositing mode like "lighten" or "add" would prevent the black of the glow render from darkening the regular render.

the difference is that you have the glow property set to off on the model and a group with nothing but the glow property set to on. I had set everything in a group, which didn't work. Setting up my model like yours I can get it to glow. But the last issue with this is how can this then be animated? I can't see how you can access a models group properties from a chor. Thoughts?

• Hash Fellow
I can't see how you can access a models group properties from a chor. Thoughts?

Turn on Show More Than Drivers :hidemore: then you can see the groups in the chor and animate the properties.

But glow radius is a property of the Chor itself. Animate it there.

• 2 weeks later...

So it works. This is a quick clip with the effect I was looking for. This is from a submission to a video contest from the tech conference I just attended in Orlando. It was meant as a spoof on the CEO of the software company sponsoring the conference (its his image on the cardboard cutout). The intention was for participants to use the cutout to show their daily lives using the software product, much like a traveling gnome sort of thing. I of course had to be different and use A:M to do it. Sad to say it didn't make the grade since it wasn't what they were looking for. But anyway, here is the clip.

glow.mov