Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Lighting problem

Gerry

I've got a shot in my Nightcallers scene, where Midge lands at the front entrance and the doors open to reveal Biff and his Enslaver Ants. There are only a couple of lignts in the shot, with main light coming from a klieg, in fact I think it's the default rim light.

Up to where the doors open, it renders fine, about two minutes/frame. But as soon as the door opens, the render slows almost to a stop, it says it's rendering the rim light's shadows, and it just hangs hangs hangs until I cancel the render. Even with a Shift-Q screen render, it just won't render if the doors are open; the info line says it's trying to render the rim's shadows.

As an experiment I made that one light inactive and it rendered just fine, and promptly too. The problem is I don't know how to diagnose the problem. Maybe just delete the light and try a new one made from scratch? I'm kind of stumped. the shot is way too big to upload here.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that definitely helps! They were Z-buffered, switched to Raytraced.

I was in the midst of experimenting with turning off cast shadows for that light and that worked too. Don't know why I didn't think of that days ago. Now I just need to decide if I need shadows in that shot or not.

Thanks robert.