sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Virtual Studio Update

fae_alba

Folks,

Since this was such a hot topic last winter, and I made a lot of noise about moving forward, yadda yadda yadda, I thought I'd fill everyone on the forums here what is going on.

We got off to a good start, picking up one job, finishing it, learning on the way. We then kicked off an internal project to start developing a demo reel, got past the story boards, then Life, the Universe and Everything slapped me across the face.

I need to give my apologies for my absence from our (ad)venture. In February I took on a short term contract developing web portal for a local business. The plan was to have a second developer do much of the development, since it will be developed in .net. Hired the developer, wrote the specs, wrote the design, and let the developer lose on the project. Two months later when the project was to be delivered, I discovered that the developer really hadn't done a lick of work, and what he did do, was not to the design signed off on by the client. That forced me to can the developer (thankfully, I hadn't cut him a check yet), and start the coding myself.

So for the last two weeks I have been completely consumed with getting at least a prototyped version of the app out to the client. They're chomping at the bit, since the plan is to spin this off to a separate company and sell the services "in the cloud".

I have all sorts of plans, thoughts, wants and desires for the studio, and have every intention of moving forward with it, just as soon as I can get this project completed! (anyone out there know .net, MVC development, and want to make a few bucks?)

I want to complete the project we started, and revisit the business side of the studio, etc. But first things first, if all goes well with this coding project, on the other end of it I should have the time, and money to invest in the studio.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I need to give my apologies for my absence from our (ad)venture. In February I took on a short term contract developing web portal for a local business. The plan was to have a second developer do much of the development, [...] I discovered that the developer really hadn't done a lick of work, [...] That forced me to can the developer (thankfully, I hadn't cut him a check yet), and start the coding myself.

I understand this quite a bit. I have trouble keeping up with animation because things get behind at one of the 2 companies I'm contracting on, and I spend my "free time" either working on it or worrying about it. Until I can leave the work behind when I get home ...

I have been doing asp.net web form development for 7 years or so (in addition to Java development) and am interested in MVC, but don't have any bandwidth to even think about helping out in situations like this.

I'm looking forward to seeing what your group comes up with when things are back on track!

I understand this quite a bit. I have trouble keeping up with animation because things get behind at one of the 2 companies I'm contracting on, and I spend my "free time" either working on it or worrying about it. Until I can leave the work behind when I get home ...

I have been doing asp.net web form development for 7 years or so (in addition to Java development) and am interested in MVC, but don't have any bandwidth to even think about helping out in situations like this.

I'm looking forward to seeing what your group comes up with when things are back on track!

Consulting can be a real drain on time, that is for sure. My back ground is really old world...vb6 and java. .net is relatively new to me as well, but to create the type of web app that I am on now, complete with the heavy lifting the back end and DB have to do, .net and mvc were the only real options. I working in c#, which is pretty much the same as java that it's not too much of a transition. Hopefully I'll be able to put the heavy grunt work of writing all of the crud screens, and free up at least a little bit of time for the studio (so many projects backing up in the ol' noggin!)