Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

workflow issue in actions

dblhelix

12 frames into an action i realize that the pivot of the hip null on Thom would be wildly more helpful if it was located in another position in relation to the box. the pivot is smack dab in the middle, as per use, and i'd need it to be on top of his left thigh, more to the right when looking from the front, but still in the middle when looking from the side.

(he's quietly diggin' this totally noddable gansta rap and taps the beat with one heel.)

in chor i could click into modelling and shift the pivot, but i only need the pivot to move to his right in this action.

how do i plan this? and execute this? is there an animatable "offset" or somesuch? make a second null to override the hip?

if i drop it into the model in the chor, i'll just have to bridge the seams carefully when the "hip influence" pops from one place to another?

(ooo there's the name for the clip: hip influence!)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

One gambit is to place a null in the chor at the point you wish the hip control were, and temporarily constrain (translate and rotate) the hip control to that null. Then animate the null instead of the hip control.

• Hash Fellow

oops... I see you're in an action. I think you can add a null to an action by putting a null in another blank model then adding that model ot the action as an action object.

a blank model would be like any invisible shape? that's a really smart workaround, thank you!

(had to search for the "action object" and guess who's explanation turned up. why don't you go add a DVD on your wishlist so i can sort that come payday? can't manage the books but you're so incredible with the speed and all. do you have "Cloudy with etc" yet?)

• Hash Fellow

I should add that it doesn't have to be a "null", any old bone will do. adding it via an action object saves you from having to add a bone for this purpose to the Thom model and saving a Thom variant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow
even easier, thanks! got caught up with troublesome toe action so made null mistakes.

celebrities at their worst sounded soothing for a newbie. delivery june 14-29.

Hey dbl, the CD arrived today. Thank you very much for that! I shall enjoy it immensely.

What didn't work? Is that in a TAoA:M exercise?

concisely: me. for now neck deep in vulcanically developing project due signed sealed stamped "30/6".

it's just, during days off i was dying to work with a rig, and it was all newbie slope. downhill. your "simplest IK" together with "how things stay in place" contain all the answers i'm sure. otherwise, watch this space :). but i should manage. oh no. jinxed.