sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Constraints

Simon Edmondson

I have a figure lifting boxes out of the back of a van and wondered if anybody could advise as to which was the best setup for the o constraints ?

The box to the figures hand or hands,

The hands to the box,

and which would be the best constraints to use?

The figure is lifting the box up, turning through 90 degree then walking off to the side, carrying the box ?

regards

simon

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
The figure is lifting the box up, turning through 90 degree then walking off to the side, carrying the box ?

For that specific scenario...

While picking up the box I'd constrain the hands to the box and then animate the box as if the hands were moving it. (Of course, you may need to unconstrain and reposition the hands a few times before they get to their final gripping position on the box)

While carrying the box, leave the hands constrained to the box, and constrain the box to some bone in the chest, like a spine or torso bone. This eliminates having to animate the box moving through space ahead of the body. You can still vary the box's position relative to the body to make it seem not rigidly glued to the chest.

In all cases make sure you are constraining with actual geometry bones and not merely the controller that influences those geometry bones. (correction below)

Rob

Thank you very much for that. Could I ask a supplemental question?

Which constraints would you suggest using ?

I tried Translate for the hand but it detatched from the rig and adhered to the box.

Orient like was a bit way ward and kinematic caused all sorts of 'wobbles " ?

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow
Rob

Thank you very much for that. Could I ask a supplemental question?

Which constraints would you suggest using ?

I tried Translate for the hand but it detatched from the rig and adhered to the box.

Orient like was a bit way ward and kinematic caused all sorts of 'wobbles " ?

regards

simon

Whoops... I made a mistake on the hand part... constrain the hand controllers to the box not a hand geometry bone (because the hand controller is what tells the hand geometry bone where to be.) This will be the IK hand controller and your arms will need to be set to IK of course.

You'll need a "translate to" and an "orient like" constraint for each hand.

The box does get constrained to a geometry chest bone. And this will be a "translate to" and an "orient like" constraint.

What these bones are called depends on your rig. In some rigs the IK arm target only positions the wrist but doesn't aim the hand bone, so you'd translate constrain the IK arm target and orient constrain the hand bone