sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Question

jason1025

I need to know if there is a difference between hiding a model vs making it 100% Transparent.

I have a rig for a camera that simulates a Jib and dolly. I need to see the jib when setting up the camera moves. But I know that render times decrease when there are less patches or models in the chor. Because the rig will never be seen in the final render I need to find out the most efficient way to make it disappear easily.

I could hide the model in the modeling window before I render

Or I could make it 100% Transparent.

I prefer the transparency method because I can create a Pose to easily turn off and on. However Hiding it in my mind assures me that AM is not taking time to calculate it in rendering.

Am I inccorect? Is it safe to just create a pose to make it 100% Transparent? No difference between the two options?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

An object that is off camera is probably not a great render hit.

But I think setting the Active property OFF is even easier than making a pose to make something transparent.

If your RMB>Constant on the property it wont create any key frames as you turn it on and off as you work.

I have a rig for a camera that simulates a Jib and dolly. I need to see the jib when setting up the camera moves. ... the rig will never be seen in the final render

You can set this up with only bones. You don't need to make any geometry. If there is no geometry, it doesn't matter if it is active or non-transparent. It won't render and there shouldn't be any render hit. If you want to see the rig, just select it in the chor and go into Skeletal Mode. This will also allow you to animate it.