Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Dynamic Constraints + Euler Limits?

Meowx

I wasn't having any luck getting a AM hair to fit with the style of the model I'm using, so I've set up an IK dynamic chain to control hair movement. Problem is, it seems to ignore the Euler limits I've set for the bones lower in the chain. Am I missing something or does a dynamic constraint just ignore Euler on lower bones? I know it adheres to the Euler limits on the dynamic constraint bone itself. Attached a movie of a quick motion test where the hair just kinda flys all over.

I've tried Simulate on the Fly both on and off and get the same results, but that brings me to another problem - I can't seem to simulate spring systems. At all. It gets a few frames in and then crashes the program every time.

Untitled.mov

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All right, after playing around with it some, it appears to be a problem with dynamic collisions. A couple of the hair strands had collisions turned on, turning them off solved the crashing problem. Can someone else check to see if they have problems calculating spring systems when Dynamic Constraint collision detection is turned on?

Here's with a small angle limit, makes a much nicer more subtle effect. The strands have collisions turned off so they compute, I suppose I could emulate collisions with an angle limit there too.

(edit: yeah, was simulating from front view in wireframe.)

Untitled.mov

Hey another quick question on dynamic simulation - does it matter which order you do "Simulate Spring Systems" and "Simcloth Simulate" in? Will one mess with the other if you do them in whichever order you want? Not sure if Simcloth counts as a spring system or not.

• Hash Fellow
All right, after playing around with it some, it appears to be a problem with dynamic collisions. A couple of the hair strands had collisions turned on, turning them off solved the crashing problem. Can someone else check to see if they have problems calculating spring systems when Dynamic Constraint collision detection is turned on?

If you can post a sample PRJ that does the problem for you you'll get more testers. I'd have to get out the manual again to make sure I was setting it up right to start with.

Here's with a small angle limit, makes a much nicer more subtle effect. The strands have collisions turned off so they compute, I suppose I could emulate collisions with an angle limit there too.

(edit: yeah, was simulating from front view in wireframe.)

That's working pretty well! Some drag on those locks of hair would make them look even better.

Don't know about the simulating order. Let us know what you find out!