Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

sparkles & alpha?

sir fen the usa

so im having a hard time trying to combine the sparkles materials in a scene. basically i have a space ship. i want a trail of sparkles to follow it. easy so far? well the sparkles for some reason have been causing large black dots or holes on the space ship. turning the sparkles off seem to render fine, no holes. so i figure ill just render the sparkles separate and alpha channel them in. problem solved.... except the sparkles dont show on an alpha export. i have to turn the alpha channel off to see them....

is this an expected result? sparkles materials dont show in alpha?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

well the sparkles for some reason have been causing large black dots or holes on the space ship.

try multi-pass/not multipass.

i only see multi-pass in the render options. i cant see multipass.

my setting in multi-pass is on. set to 16(4x4) soften on.

is this right?

since were on the subject what the heck is multi-pass? lol. ive been leaving it on not really knowing what it was for. i tried rendering just now and omg its rendering about 20 times faster than ive ever seen. im rendering the whole scene just to see if the black dot will show in this mode. at any rate do i need multi-pass?

so here is a test flight with multi-pass off. it rendered in about 5 min. in the past with multi-pass on it took about 8hrs. im not sure if i see a difference in quality as from what i have read there should be.

all that said im happy to say i see no dot or black holes in the ship.

what could be happening using multi pass that would cause a black hole. im thinking some kind of alpha channel effect created from multi-pass?

test_ship.mov

• Hash Fellow
so here is a test flight with multi-pass off. it rendered in about 5 min. in the past with multi-pass on it took about 8hrs. im not sure if i see a difference in quality as from what i have read there should be.

multi-pass divides each pixel into x parts and renders each one separately, the adds all x passes together at the end. The more passes you set it to do the longer it will take.

multipass is usually unnecessary. The anti-aliasing in regular render is about the same as 16-pass multipass.

some effects like accurate motion blur and shadow jitter need multipass.

But usually you can use regular render for faster results.

multi-pass divides each pixel into x parts and renders each one separately, the adds all x passes together at the end. The more passes you set it to do the longer it will take.

multipass is usually unnecessary. The anti-aliasing in regular render is about the same as 16-pass multipass.

some effects like accurate motion blur and shadow jitter need multipass.

But usually you can use regular render for faster results.

thank you. that makes it all clear. im doing HDTV exports now and they seem to be clear of all issues. they look great and are exporting faster than ever. i just turned off the multipass as for what im doing its not needed. this is something that has been a problem for my renders on this project. thanks for setting me on the right path....all is well