sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Rotation Manipulator Setup

TNT

I am setting up some smart skin on eye lids.

Looking from the side the corners of the eye lid do not line up as this view shows.

post-10558-1238293223_thumb.jpg

I don't know if it's possible but here is what I want to do.

I want to rotate the eye lid to the full open and full closed positions with the Rotation Manipulator.

I know how to move the Pivot to the center of the eye socket.

What I can't figure out is how to skew the manipulator so that its planes are rotated the same as the eye lid prior to actually rotating the eye lids CP's.

That sounds confusing so here is a picture to help explain.

post-10558-1238293416_thumb.jpg

In this view I am looking at the eye lid with both corners lined up.

I want the Rotation Manipulator basically flat to the screen with it's pivot centered in the eye socket.

This way one axis of rotation moves the lid correctly to close or open the socket.

Thanks,

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

If you have the rotate manipulator on , there's a little gnomon in the center with red green and blue squares on the ends. you can manipulate those to change the directions that the axa will turn.

If you have the rotate manipulator on , there's a little gnomon in the center with red green and blue squares on the ends. you can manipulate those to change the directions that the axa will turn.

OK, that was simple.

I feel rather foolish now.

Thanks Robcat.

It worked perfectly!

OK,

Now I know how to position and re-orient the rotation manipulator thanks to Robcat.

Is there a way to save the new position so I can return to it or at least type in its position and rotation?

I am needing the same exact orientation and position many times to adjust the smartskin to its near finished positions.

You may want to consider using a bone or bones with pose rather than a smartskin. Letting a bone do the rotating will preserve the axis and keep you from having to re-position those points so many times.

This blink pose is a combo of bone and muscle movement. I only had to adjust a couple points at 50% and 10%, everything else is just at 0% or 100%.

blink.mov

I think I may try it that way.

I was still hoping to find out if you can save the manipulators position and rotation somehow.

Even if I don't use it here, I can see using it other times

• Hash Fellow
OK,

Now I know how to position and re-orient the rotation manipulator thanks to Robcat.

Is there a way to save the new position so I can return to it or at least type in its position and rotation?

I am needing the same exact orientation and position many times to adjust the smartskin to its near finished positions.

a named group will retain its pivot's special placement and rotation settings.

Personally i prefer using bones for arc-like motions, as Meowx suggested.

But you can retain that pivot stuff if need be.

Thanks Robcat and Meowx.

I may still use the bone as suggested.

It makes good sense.

I appreciate knowing how to hold the rotation of the manipulator.

I think it will be useful from time to time.