sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Jeff Lew's Setup

danf

So I watched a demo 34 minute tutorial by Jeff Lew on his website, and I was struck by how fluidly he is able to manipulate his models. When animating, I've never had the option of creating poses as quickly as he does, because my refresh rate is so much slower. I've got a 1 year old iMac Core2 Duo, with an ATI RadeonHD2400, and I thought that made my experience good. But now that I've glimpsed the other side, I'm just wondering if I'm missing some drivers or something, because he made this video SIX YEARS AGO, and he's putting my animating experience to shame.

Thoughts? I mean, I have a second monitor, but when posing I'm largely moving my wrist a tiny bit and waiting to see what that looks like. Even when turned to draft mode, although it doesn't look like his is. Any ideas of what kind of setup makes for the smoothest posing experience?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He could have recorded the movements separate from the audio. That way he could speed up the video to fit narration. It seemed that way to me.

His DVD's are good. You may want to check out Cristin McKee too. I've been trying to do each lesson and build off of them. The only thing I did different is rigged the models with the 2008 rig. I didn't have luck using the rigs provided.

• Hash Fellow
So I watched a demo 34 minute tutorial by Jeff Lew on his website, and I was struck by how fluidly he is able to manipulate his models. When animating, I've never had the option of creating poses as quickly as he does, because my refresh rate is so much slower.

What is your refresh rate? on the PC it's continuously reported in the lower-left corner.

Jeff Lew did speed up his vids to show his process faster, but by "paging down" appropriately you ought to get at least 8fps which more than responsive enough for posing.

What are you getting?