sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Importing cameras from other programs

djr33

I'm wondering if there is a way to import camera data from another program.

We're using, primarily, Vue to create a landscape and I would like to be able to insert Animation:Master elements as well.

We can export a camera that would work for After Effects, Maya, and perhaps others. I'm not exactly sure how much we can convert the data, so please give as many options as possible for import and we'll hopefully find a medium that will work.

Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know this is not possible. Vue exports the camera paths as Maya scripts, and A:M can't read those. I have been thinking of writing a converter so I can convert the Maya script files to A:M action files for a personal project. I have been to busy with other things, but I'm sure I'll write it some day because I want it as much as you do ;)

I hope you're not in a hurry...

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like there are some possibilities, but nothing workable yet. I do need to use this for a project soon, so I'll have to figure something else out.

What is the best way to export a model (incl. textures!) from A:M to 3ds, obj, or any other format that Vue, Max, etc. can read?

I've tried it and had completely unstable results. Is there something I'm missing?

• Hash Fellow

How did "Kevin Detwiler is successfully exchanging camera data between Vue and A:M" equate to "nothing workable yet."

Kevin's forum name is detbear. try contacting him.

He is modeling, animating and rendering characters in A:M and compositing that with scenery rendered in Vue.

Or more likely, try contacting Stephen Gross (yoda64). he wrote the plugin.

Could it be possible to assign a bone to the camera and then export the bones data as a .bvh? It would only hold position/rotation data and not lens info...

I'd like to be able to export my A:M camera to Adobe After Effects...

That would be possible, but Vue does not import BVH, so you would still need a third application to convert the BVH motion to a Maya script file, or vice versa.