Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Pitch problems

My students are using shaggy or the rabbit for it's a pitch because we had the knight with the bad knees. Most students did fine, however one girl has had trouble and she can't really tell me what she did different from the instructions. I have attached the file - Shaggy falls apart and his eyeballs fly out of his head. It's pretty funny, but not exactly what we were trying to do.

Any ideas as to what she did wrong?

shaggy_pitch.prj

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It appears as if your student has manipulated "splines" in the chor - and not just bones - delete those channels (the whole spline folder in the choreography) and it should work better - apparently the student was working in muscle mode at some point in the chor - rather than in skeletal mode.

splineyeballs.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Yes, those do look like unexpected results.

First thing I notice... there's a "Splines" folder under shaggy's listing in the chor in the PWS.

This means some "muscle mode" animation (moving individual CPs around) happened. The pitch exercise doesn't involve any CP moving so the muscle mode button should not be turned on. Use the "Skeletal" button only. (moving bones around)

Delete the "Splines" folder and things start to look a bit more normal.

2) "Balance Rigid" and "Balance" poses were left on, always turn those off (0%) on characters that have them. they produce confusing motion in body parts you aren't moving.

3) It looks like an important pose between 00:00 and 00:10 didn't get made or perhaps got deleted accidentally after it was made.

4) when a character has a body part like a foot that is supposed to stay on the ground for a while make sure to "zero-slope" the key frames that hold it there or it may wander as it interpolates between the otherwise identical keys.

Now that your class has had this intial exposure to keyframing, this would be a good video to watch:

KeyFrameOptionsMP4.mov

It covers a bit about what goes on under the hood when you set key frames.