sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Global Decals

Montanto

Hi all

Perhaps this is just another example of why I should stick with the baby steps instead of jumping into the deep end head first but my first attempt at using decals has been frustrating to say the least.

For a little bit of background I was playing around with creating scenes from a space opera i've been dabbling with and I was playing with from space shots of the principle setting. For this I assumed that the best approach for creating this planet would be to make a large decal made from one of my maps of the setting (attachment 1) on top of of a 32patch sphere unfortunately the end result of this leads us to attachment 2. I've played with the size of the decal but most of them aren't much prettier. I am assuming that the decal going on would have to be distorted from the start. Anyone have good suggestions on how to go about this? At the moment my arsenal consists of painter, photoshop and illustrator and after AM and Poser my 3D resources are limited. (though I am perfectly willing to invest in the right toy if the price is reasonable)

post-11326-1207163595_thumb.jpg

post-11326-1207163694_thumb.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This isn't my strongest skill either but here goes..... you want to wrap the image around the sphere. You might want to think of a soup can label. Imagine removing it from the can and rolling it out flat. Now to compare with your image: you have the brand logo and the kind of soup that it is. But there is more to the label to wrap around. With your decal you are telling Animation master to wrap that image around the whole can instead of just the front side of it. Think of a world map. From alaska to Japan is a lot of area. If you look on a globe though...........

Try to make your surface area for the planet like a world map and then wrap it around using cylinder.

Anyone who thinks I'm dead wrong please chime in

Hope that helps

Try to make your surface area for the planet like a world map and then wrap it around using cylinder.

That could be part of the problem. I was going in assuming that I was just decalling the front of the sphere, I had another decal for the other side. Going by that I would assume I should apply it without clicking the spherical option.

For such things, I would use a projection-map (it is a material-type) instead of an decal.

If you want to use a decal for that, you should unwrap / flatten the sphere by hand...

it is much easier to use the projection-map-decal so.

You will find it at Material -> Attribute - RightMouseButton -> Plugins -> Hash Inc.

*Fuchur*