Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

A:M 2002 vs. The latest and greatest

rikdiculous

Hi, I got A:M 2002 back in...well, 2002 and I haven't used it much and kind of forgot about it. I have recently been re-inspired to learn it and I have some questions regarding the latest version and the bajillion updates inbetween. Considering how I never really made anything to speak of on A:M 2002, I'm kind of reluctant to buy the latest version without conquering the old one. So here's the questions:

1) Will the models I make in 2002 be able to transfer over to the latest version?

2) If I get the latest version will I have to relearn everything or is it the same as 2002 but with more features?

3) I've always had a problem with A:M 2002 shutting down on me. On my old comp, it used to be when I would try to pose characters. Now it's if I hit the "redo" button several times and when I try to import a model into an action window. Does this ever happen with the latest version?

4) Will the tutorials (DVDs and books) on sale at hash.com apply to A:M 2002 or will I be totally lost?

5) If I did decide to update...what would you do if you were me: Buy the latest version on CD, subscribe to the updates, or look for the discontinued 2007 update that used to be on sale on hash.com (I like that idea better than the updates to be honest)?

Thanks for looking. -PM

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
1) Will the models I make in 2002 be able to transfer over to the latest version?
Yes, however from V13 on files are saved in a new format, so don't resave over your original files if you want to reopen them in pre V13 versions

2) If I get the latest version will I have to relearn everything or is it the same as 2002 but with more features?
The interface hasn't changed much at all. I recall there was some change in the PWS timeline functionality around V9 but I doubt that would be a showstopper for you.

3) I've always had a problem with A:M 2002 shutting down on me. On my old comp, it used to be when I would try to pose characters. Now it's if I hit the "redo" button several times and when I try to import a model into an action window. Does this ever happen with the latest version?
Stability is dramatically better now. Hugely better.

4) Will the tutorials (DVDs and books) on sale at hash.com apply to A:M 2002 or will I be totally lost?
Many fundamental concepts are just as they were. Some specific keypresses may be different. Ans if a feature didn't exist yet in 2002 then a current tut on it won't do much fo ryou.

5) If I did decide to update...what would you do if you were me: Buy the latest version on CD, subscribe to the updates, or look for the discontinued 2007 update that used to be on sale on hash.com (I like that idea better than the updates to be honest)?
If money is no object, I'd prefer a CD. but $50 for the 1-year online verison is pretty cheap.

• Admin

It looks like Robert has answered all your questions.

I'll chime in too.

Will the tutorials (DVDs and books) on sale at hash.com apply to A:M 2002 or will I be totally lost?

I believe Hash Inc has removed many of the older video tutorials from their online store. Those that weren't as current with the times.

What is there should apply to current releases pretty closely.

I would caution you against purchasing second hand for a number of reasons. Here are a few.

When you purchase second hand you are not purchasing the license. Hash Inc has relunctantly transferred licenses before but its really bad juju. When you purchase A:M the license is not transferrable unless you transfer that through Hash Inc. There are always extenuating circumstances where this may be a reasonable choice. For instance, I die. Can I transfer the license to my daughter?

I think the new subscription method addresses this in a very effective way. If I die today... my daughter could use my license of A:M for the remainder of the year and then decide whether to purchase a license of her own.

Subscribing/purchasing from Hash Inc helps them improve the program.

It pays the programmers to code.

It pays the bills and keeps the virtual lights on.

It pays to keep this forum going.

You may get a bum deal from second hand purchasing in which case you'll definitely not get active support. If everyone upgraded for $49 every year we'd see all versions get more support. But people upgrade that often when the version they are already using is more power than they need already. Do we fully realize the impact that has on the updates we will want to purchase in the future?

Purchasing from Hash Inc guarantees you are getting a fully licensed program with Hash Inc's stamp of approval.

Being in the same version as the majority of others in the forum has clear advantages for the user as well as Hash Inc. It gives us all a common ground on which to stand and communicate. It makes bug tracking and feature enhancing easier too as the variables that need to be considered are significantly reduced.

Updating to A:M now sends a clear message to Hash Inc that you are involved and interested in the future. This directs their time and investment. Holding back sends the opposite message.

I generally prefer the CD... for a host of reasons I won't go into.

But the websubscription is great stuff if you just want to use A:M to its fullest right now.

If you are waiting for the future you will never get there.

I purchased two licenses for $98. Best decision I've make in years.

Got $49?

Got a year to apply to learning and using A:M?

CLICK BAM! DONE.