Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Character Model: for Villikon Chronicles: Mysterre

Hello Everyone,

I've been working this animation for the Villikon Chronicles (www.villikonchronicles.com). I have posted the progress of the main female character Mysterre. The texturing will come soon.

You can visit my web page to see other artwork and other progress.GraphicAnime Site: VillikonChronicles Project

Another thing. If anyone knows about a 3rd party program that imports OBJ or 3DS models into Animation Master well, please let me know. I had someone send me a sentinal model that was done in Maya. He gave me the OBJ model. When I imported it into AM the splines of the model became very jagged and pointy.

post-1230-1203793423_thumb.jpg

post-1230-1203793431_thumb.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow
He gave me the OBJ model. When I imported it into AM the splines of the model became very jagged and pointy.

Most models made in polygon programs will not be laid out well for use in A:M. Models made of triangular polys will be very poor.

Quad-only models might be usable with extensive manual editing and thinning out, but most polygon models were made with poor layout to begin with.

He gave me the OBJ model. When I imported it into AM the splines of the model became very jagged and pointy.

Most models made in polygon programs will not be laid out well for use in A:M. Models made of triangular polys will be very poor.

Quad-only models might be usable with extensive manual editing and thinning out, but most polygon models were made with poor layout to begin with.

MMMMMM....

For creating hair for the 2D render, would I need to create a model for the hair or would the hair particles work well with the 2D render? Is there a good tutorial for AM on how to work with AM hair. I currently work with AM V14

• Admin
would I need to create a model for the hair or would the hair particles work well with the 2D render?

Your usage will determine the method.

You can model the skull cap type hair or use particle based hair in A:M.

There are benefits and constraints to both methods.

If you want to render your images quickly and have full control over your hair you'll probably want to use geometry/modeled hair. The downside of this method is generally it doesn't produce the results most artists seek.

If you want the most realistic hair you can get you'll probably want to use particle based hair. The learning curve is steep however as there are a lot of options to choose from and the goal must generally be reached through testing.

Using a little bit of both methods will probably produce the best results.

A compromise might be to create the look you want with particles, render that to a 2D image with Alpha Channels and map the images made from that onto geometry.

For creating hair for the 2D render, would I need to create a model for the hair or would the hair particles work well with the 2D render? Is there a good tutorial for AM on how to work with AM hair. I currently work with AM V14

I'm going to agree with what Rodney said. Both particle hair and geometry hair have their pros and cons. It depends on what you want to achieve and how you want to go about it.

The particle system is a wonderful engine that's ready to go -- however, you do have to know what you're doing. With particle hair, you don't model the hair per se. Instead, you use points to control the direction or flow of the hair. There are so many settings you can tweak to make the hair look and behave just the way you want it to. Particles involve more computation, so be prepared to feel the hit in your render time.

With modelled hair, you've got hands-on control of every point. The challenge is make the mesh look and move convincingly like hair. This can be achieved with color decals, transparency decals, and dynamic constraints, just to name a few methods. You don't have a robust system at your disposal but you have more direct control because you're doing everything yourself. Want one more strand or blade of hair? It's up to you.

My advice: take some time, do a little experimenting, and get a feel for it. You'll never really know unless you give them a try. I've done both methods. It's good to have a choice of tools in your toolbox.

... nuts. I'm just repeating what you said, Rodney. Sorry. :P

Anyway, keep up the good work!