Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

How to do a frog tongue

babreu

Hi, Everyone:

I don't know if this would be a question more for the rigging forum, but I thought others must have done this before. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to rig a frog tongue. It needs to stretch really far and bend and twist like a rope. The character will be swung around from it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Only yesterday I bookmarked this:

http://www.kci-group.com/z/tongue.htm

I don't know if it's useful - I haven't got around to doing it yet, and I don't yet know the language of rigging, and it's for a fairly old version.

To understand it, I think you probably have to be fairly good at rigging already.

Another post may help too:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16943 - animating rope that stretches.

I'm interested in this topic too, although more about rigging a long tail than stretching, so I'll post anything else I find.

The tongue rig in the Squetch Rig has squetching built into it. The tail add-on for the Squetch Rig could probably also be adapted if that's more like what you need (it squetches as well, but is built differently). You can get them on the Wiki page, the link is in my signature.

Hope that helps.

post-10782-1193846241_thumb.jpgThank you both for the suggestions; that gives me a lot to work with for now. From what I've seen on the forums, the Squetch rig sounds like the way I should go, although, to be honest, it seems a little intimidating to me. The 2001 rig seems simpler. But since I haven't done any rigging yet (only some modelling so far), I shouldn't make that assumption.

By the way, here's the character I need the tongue rig for:

You don't have to use the Squetch Rig to use the tongue or the tail...there is a standalone version of the FACE controllers at the bottom of the Wiki page. There are three versions in the ZIP file, one without anything added, one with a tongue added and one with the entire bones rig for the face added. The tail is also toward the bottom of the page...it can be adapted to being a tongue.

The Squetch Rig is still moderately difficult to install...I think it will get easier as it continues to get tweaked. However, the 2001 rig would be easier at the moment for a first time install.

Hope that helps.