sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Decalling

flashawd

Hi - this is my first stab at putting decals on a character for color variations. I keep getting this small oranage square on the frog's neck. I have reapplied the orange to the hand about 4 times - even hiding all mesh but the hands when I am decaling it - and I am still getting the orange square - any ideas what I am doing wrong? Also, any suggestions or comments on the decaling itself that might make it look better would be appreciated.

frog0004.jpg

Thanks - Eric

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing I would check is the Normals. Press shift + 1 to see the yellow normals on your model. All normals should be facing out away from your model. If that does not take care of the problem, the next thing I would do is to delete all decals - you don't have that many applied yet, right, and see if the yellow square is still there. If it is, you know the decals are not the problem. Also, give us a shaded wireframe render on a white background to give us a better view of the problem area.

Hi Eric - all the normals were facing out, so that wasn't the problem. I deleted all the orange decals and that took the orange square away and then I reapplied them and the square was gone. But then when I moved a few cp's around on the toes to clean up a bit, it was back... kinda odd. So I guess I'll do everything that needs to be done and apply the orange decals last. Thanks for you help... once again Eric helping Eric. ;)

Look at it in the Decal View: Right-click the decal>edit.

Did you use Auto UVs in 3DPainter? Could the orange patch actually be picking up color from an area of the map intended to be orange? Do you have an orange surface color-- that patch being accidentally undecalled?

This is a long shot but...

Is that image above a final render or a screen grab of the shaded preview?

Another thing to try is to look at the stamps applied to the patches. Select the patches in that spot and use the "Remove Decals" thingy. Expand that list of decals and If you know which decal/stamp whatever, is the "orange" you could remove it just from that patch... if that is what is causing it.

-vern

Hi William - I actually didn't use 3DPainter - I just created decals and applied them in AM. Since we are talking about 3DPainter - I was having an issue with it is why I didn't decal using it - I opened up 3DPainter from within AM, then in 3DPainter I -

-Create Decal Tiling

-1024x1024 (Transparent)

- moved in on a top view of the hand

- click on start projection paint

- paint orange on the hand - orange painted on fine

- clicked on accept projection paint - it appears like it is saving it

- then when it switches back in the main mode - the hand is still silver, the orange was not applied.

Not sure what I am doing wrong - any ideas. Thanks for the help.