Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Basic Modeling Question

flashawd

Hi - I have run into this issue several times and not sure if it is correct or there is a better way of doing it. For example I am working on a "Teddy Bear" for a client and at the tip of his nose there are 6 CPs - in a case like this what do I do. Should I add a CP at the tip and bring the 6 into 1 or zoom way in on the 6 and scale them close so when I zoom out it isn't noticable. Would love any input on how to work with this situation. Thanks - Eric

tBear0001.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is how I would do it. Just Join up one side to another and then put the other splines through that spline to close it off. Then you can delete that highlighted spline loop.

nose.jpg

Another way is to model this kind of thing using only 4 splines. Then you can splice opposite splines to make 2, and splice the CPs on the 2 splines to make a standard crossing with a patch in each quadrant.

When I'm lathing an object and I know I'm going to be bringing one end to a point, I set the number of lathe sections to 4 so I can do this.

One possible issue with the method Ken shows is that it results in four 3-point patches, which may crease a bit. If you need real smoothness, say you're modeling a chrome bumper hitch, this could cause a problem.

The 8-patch sphere in the primitives library shows how good modeling a round object with crossing splines.

Hi Phatso - yes I did notice a bit of a crease on some of the areas, but it doesn't matter for those areas, but other area need to be smoother as you mentioned. If you need more detail then 4 sections, is there any other techniques that you can suggest? I looked on some of the models like boneless Tom and the top of his head to see what they did - that just has the CPs scaled to the top. Anyway - thanks for your time.

Yes - and I should have clarified that the technique I mentioned also results in 3-point patches, but larger ones - thus less curved - thus less likely to crease. Also, with fewer patches, fewer creases.

The other technique is to create a sphere with as many splines as needed, both longitudinal and latitudinal. This will create a point at the pole which can never be completely closed. Then rotate the sphere so the part sticking out is the side. This results in a hemispherical protuberance whose surface, at least the part that is visible, is a standard easy-to-model 4-point mesh grid.

First time in my life I've been able to use the phrase "hemispherical protuberance" in a reference that was not scatalogical.

"Eschew sesquipedalianism." :lol: