• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

you don't seem to have any 5-pointers so I don't think it the "normals". You don't have porcelain on this do you?

Hard to tell. If you zip the model and post it someone will probably give it a look.

• Hash Fellow

That's quite odd. I can remodel those shapes and not get the black patches, but I don't know why your version has them.

It doesn't look quite the same when I load it, but it does have some weird looking shading.

by not having a center CP in the caps to your cylinders you are getting two circular patches overlapping themselves. That's not good, but even when I eliminate that your model still shades oddly.

LightSaberRevised.zip

Here is my explanation of what is causing the black patches.

besides having some flipped normals, the basic cause is that a number of CP's have their magnitude set to 0. This is similar to setting the Spline to Peaked, but has the side effect of warping it's orientation. You should leave the Mag at 100% and Peak these splines. this gets rid of the Black patches.

Also the 4 point circular rings have their magnitude set to 250, normal would be 167.39% unless you are not trying for circles. You may have done this to compensate for the side effect 0 Mag on the intersecting spline.

Keep practicing