Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

saving projects

bighop

Hello,

I'm still working out of the David Rodgers book. I set up a choreography, put in some model buildings, etc. Saved it, embedded the files. When I go to open it up.....nothing. The computer keeps asking me to find stuff. Do I have to put(or copy) all the models, decals, etc, into one project file when I make something?

Thanks,

Andy

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You did save after you embedded the files in the project right? The order you have it written, would mean you're embedding but not saving.....so the project will need to ask you to find stuff again as they're not embedded.

You did save after you embedded the files in the project right? The order you have it written, would mean you're embedding but not saving.....so the project will need to ask you to find stuff again as they're not embedded.
Hi Ken,

How does embedding work? - I assumed that you select >project>embedd all> choose yes and then 'save project as' ...

I tried this on 'the doors stuck' so that it would sit on my hard drive, but the only the single project file appears, and no .mdl files as I would have expected ... am I doing something wrong ?

I found that embedding the file first, then saving seems to work. Are we (anyone using AM) suppose to make a project folder, and place copies of all the related files in it? Will that cause more problems or help with any of this?

Just wondering.

PS: Does anyone find that reading about "Constraints" and "Relationships" a little on the dry side? It seems hard to stay focused. Maybe I'm ADD!

Locate where those files are that A:M is asking for and open them as it asks for them. Once you do that A:M will remember where they are and shouldn't ask you again.

Creating a folder for your projects is a good idea, that way all related files are in one place and makes it easy to find should you need to.

A saved project will load all the models related to it. But if you want to use a model that's in the project in another project, it's a good idea to save that model separately (it'll save as a .MDL). Save it in a folder that is easy to locate.