Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

would like to use newer files in old version

I've been gone from AM for a while, but I intend to come back with a vengeance! Trouble is that I'm not ready to upgrade at this time. I see a lot of useful files out there, but they don't seem to want to cooperate with me.

I have version 8.5f and it doesn't want to load any later mdl versions. I seem to remember that in the past I could simply open the model file as a text file and switch the version number to 8.5 and it would work (granted all the "new" features would produce errors and be automatically deleted). However, this doesn't seem to be working for me anymore. Any suggestions?

((edit: Vengeance and a spellchecker!))

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We are at V13 moving to V14. The file format has changed to accommodate data needed for new features. There really isn't a converter cheaper than the $99 for an upgrade. The older models will of course work in the new version. Overall the new version works better and is more stable, I would rethink the upgrading decision.

I've been gone from AM for a while, but I intend to come back with a vengeance! Trouble is that I'm not ready to upgrade at this time. I see a lot of useful files out there, but they don't seem to want to cooperate with me.

I have version 8.5f and it doesn't want to load any later mdl versions. I seem to remember that in the past I could simply open the model file as a text file and switch the version number to 8.5 and it would work (granted all the "new" features would produce errors and be automatically deleted). However, this doesn't seem to be working for me anymore. Any suggestions?

((edit: Vengeance and a spellchecker!))

Hi Bob,

I second Bruce's comments and add this....

The newer version (which I just upgraded to v14) allows people to participate in the "TWO" project. If you really want to come back with a vengeance, I'd really recommend you to check out this exciting opportunity offered only to A:M users using v13 or higher on account of the new svn feature (read up on it in the forums).

Martin Hash is doing a very revolutionary thing. He's making a full feature movie (The Tin Woodman of OZ commonly referred to as "TWO") that is created by all Animation Master (A:M) volunteers from around the world all working together.

There is also a complete certification program that Rodney keeps up if your A:M skills are a bit rusty you should check it out. That's how I started.

Currently I am part of a team of over 100 A:M users working on the movie. The new updates since 8.5 are vast and the added features and stability is well worth the 100 bucks. Just do it!! Seriously, you won't be disappointed.

George

Um, actually when it appeared I wasn't going to get any help I started experimenting on how to do it myself. I discovered that Making files backwards compatible is actually quite easy.

Like I said, I wasn't interested in the doodads attached by the newer versions. I was primarily looking for the mesh.

So it turns out that using a file in a older version is as easy as opening the file in .txt format and cut/pasting the fields you're interested in. Just copy them out of the new version file, and paste them into an empty mdl file you make with the version you currently have. I just took the [MESH] and [patches], but there's no reason I couldn't have grabbed the groups and such as well. It's that simple.

I am not upgrading at this time because I am about to change address. I do not want to order the CD and have it show up at my old address after I've moved. I just wanted to get a head start looking at the basics.

But anyway, I figured I'd post the solution in case anyone came looking for it.

Um, actually when it appeared I wasn't going to get any help I started experimenting on how to do it myself. I discovered that Making files backwards compatible is actually quite easy.

Like I said, I wasn't interested in the doodads attached by the newer versions. I was primarily looking for the mesh.

So it turns out that using a file in a older version is as easy as opening the file in .txt format and cut/pasting the fields you're interested in. Just copy them out of the new version file, and paste them into an empty mdl file you make with the version you currently have. I just took the [MESH] and [patches], but there's no reason I couldn't have grabbed the groups and such as well. It's that simple.

I am not upgrading at this time because I am about to change address. I do not want to order the CD and have it show up at my old address after I've moved. I just wanted to get a head start looking at the basics.

But anyway, I figured I'd post the solution in case anyone came looking for it.

I can tell you the procedure you are following will NOT work on version 13 and up files. The file structure is completely different, unless you are willing to write a script to rewrite the sections appropriately. The data is there, but it is NOT arranged the same, period. If you have been able to import using your method, then you are probably importing models that are earlier than version 13 or even version 12... I'd have to look to make sure.

I would seriously recommend the upgrade for another few reasons besides the features. The stability of 12 and up is superb and is even better than 8.5 was in my opinion. Also the speed of the software has gone up and will also be able to take advantage of newer video cards much better.

The interface has changed for the better as well. Not to mention the new Extras DVD that has a TON of models on it for you to add to your projects.

Anyway... whatever you decide... Cheers! :D