Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

scale bones and poses to match cp scaling

I have a model of a swing that I've already done some rigging and poses with which is much too large for the other elements in my choreography. I know I can just scale it in every choreography to match, but I'd like to know if there is a way to rescale it in the modeling window so that the bones (and their smartskinning and poses) still match up with their respective cps.

-Chris

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Select the root bone. Press the S key. Hold down Control key. Scale the bone and the cps should scale too. But make sure this doesn't mess up your relationships so do it on a copy.

On the mac I think you hold down the option key while scaling the bone in bone mode... Not sure exactly what the key command is for doing this on the PC.

So you could select the root bone and hit "S" or scale button and scale uniformly while holding that key... this scales everything together... bones... CPs. I use this ALL THE TIME... I am terrible at modeling to the correct scale and end up with 100 foot bears and 3 inch tall ladders all the time.

This works with translation as well. Type "N" or click the translate button and do the same thing. All the points and child bones will move with the bone selected.

You could just experiment till you get the right key... there's only two or 3 to test. Or you could just wait till someone who actually remembers which key it is to pipe in. ;)

-vern

As a follow up - creating a new "scale" pose provided the best solution in this case. Though scaling the root bone while holding the 'control' key did indeed scale both the bones and the cps together (info which is new to me - thank you), the 'relationships' that I created before behaved oddly.