sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

the font wizard-importing a font?

westy

Hi everyone, I'm new here and to animation master. (and I'm using the most recent version in case anyone needs to know) I'm making an animated text logo and modeling the text after a design created by another person in adobe illustrator.

So here's the deal: the font used in the logo is Minion Pro. I have this font on my computer and thought I would save some time by just using the font wizard to model the letters. The only problem is the font doesn't appear as an option under the wizard. I have nearly every other font, but not minion and I also noticed it doesn't show myriad even though I have it too. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Myriad is Adobe's default typeface for Illustrator. It's using its own version of it that isn't installed like your normal fonts.

I suppose you could track it down on your computer and make a duplicate to install with your normal fonts.

Yeah, I found it in an adobe folder and copied it into my regular font folder and got the message "The minion pro font is already installed. To install a new version, first remove the old version." It says that with each one I copy. After I press okay it still places them in the folder, but they dont load up in the wizard. :(

• Admin

Average price for the Minion Pro font seems to be $24 but i see $30+ as well.

If you have illustrator you can recreate the fonts... but don't sell them!

If using them in commercial work I'd suggest purchasing, then adding the charge to your client's bill.*

There are probably a lot of similar fonts out there but if Adobe owns the font...

Not sure if this'll be anything new (found on the web):

Minion Pro - This font is a wonderful professional font that used to cost $100 but is now available free with Acrobat Reader version 7. To get the font, install Acrobat Reader version 7 then look in the resource folder where acrobat reader was installed. I will probably be at this address on your computer: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Resource\Font. You will see the Minon files. You still must install the fonts so your system will recognize them. For windows users, open control panel, switch to classic view, scroll down to fonts, and then copy the minion fonts into your fonts folder.

*Get it approved first of course!

yeah, I downloaded the new acrobat specifically for those- but no worries. I think I have it working now!

But also, I read somewhere about being able to import illustrator files and having A:M be able to model a rough version of what you have designed-provided it's a basic image and all black. So if I didn't have the font, could I have tried it that way somehow?

• Admin
yeah, I downloaded the new acrobat specifically for those- but no worries. I think I have it working now!

But also, I read somewhere about being able to import illustrator files and having A:M be able to model a rough version of what you have designed-provided it's a basic image and all black. So if I didn't have the font, could I have tried it that way somehow?

Sure could!

The biggest requirement there is in needing a program that saves out to AI format.

If you already have Illustrator you'd be set though. I use and prefer Coreldraw.

Attached is an example I just ran to see how well the example text from the Adobe website coverted to AI format.

Not bad... but a Font would get through better. There are obvious errors some of which could have easily been fixed.

The model was created using default settings.

There are also programs (some really great shareware ones) that will convert images to fonts.

MinionProTest.jpg

Rodney, did you do that using the wizard as well? I do have illustrator, but I'm not sure how to import the file. I tried doing wizards>AI (but nothing happened) Is that how you do it or is there a different way? BTW, thanks everyone for helping me out!

• Admin
Rodney, did you do that using the wizard as well? I do have illustrator, but I'm not sure how to import the file. I tried doing wizards>AI (but nothing happened) Is that how you do it or is there a different way? BTW, thanks everyone for helping me out!

Glad we can help.

I haven't used Illustrator in ages.

I'm going to guess that you need to save your AI files in an earlier format.

I -always- use version 7 -but- I believe most people use version 8.

I don't know what form of raster to vector conversion you may have with Illustrator.

CorelDraw has a program called CorelTrace... AMAZING!

You can download the entire CorelDraw suite with a 15 day fully functioning trial.

For those of you that don't have it... plan... plan... plan your projects first. Download. Test.

CorelDraw isn't cheap but its well worth the investment.

(and it works great with A:M in many ways!)

Whoops. Didn't answer your question.

Yes. I used the AI Wizard to import the outlined shapes of the letters.

It should be noted that ungrouping everything helped tremendously.

You can have say... the holes cut out of the letters but the AI Wizard interprets the shapes better just by being in the right place.

(That last part won't make a bit of sense to most people. Sorry. I could put a mini-tute together.)