Easy way to increase cp's?

jasonpeinko

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lathe it. No reason not to. Easy as pie. Here's how:

Set lathe to 16. The easy way to do this is hold down SHIFT and click the Lathe tool, this will pop up your modelling options.

Draw 1 two point spline on either side of the y-axis. Lathe it.

Delete one ring of points, now you have a 16 point spline perfect circle.

Rotate it 90 degrees around the x-axis. delete one half.

select and break ("k" on the keyboard) the remaining "left-over" edge.

Nudge the 2 top points just over the y-axis. All points should be on one side of the y-axis. Lathe this.

Done.

I timed myself, took 23 seconds.

I make all my circles, spheres, what-have-you this way; I am a bit wary of the primitive wizard as it has produced "funny" geometry in the past (doesn't all highlight when you choose "group connected", etc.)

Want an even quicker way?

In a blank modeling window, right-click and select 'Plug-Ins -> Wizard -> primitive' from the dialog box that opens... select a 'sphere' from the drop down and then select the RadiusXZ, SegmentsXZ and the click on the 'Mangitude %' button, then click 'create'. Make sure the 'CP Smooth' option is checked.

This should make you a sphere of any division size you want.

I'm attaching the plug-in here as I'm not sure that A:M came with it.

It's dated from back in September, 2005, but still works, even with V14.0 Alpha 5.

Unzip it and place it in your "C:\Program Files\Hash Inc\V13.0\hxt" folder C: being whatever drive you installed A:M in.

Hope that proves useful.

primitive.zip

For future reference, and a more general solution, if you ever want to just increase cps/patches somewhere on a model, I cannot recommend highly enough the "SplitPatch" plug-in by the inimitable Steffan Gross. (sgross.com) This is an easy way to double the patches in a particular area, for added detail, then just hook/5-point the results to the rest of the (lower-resolution) surface. This is, not surprisingly, extremely handy. Just my extra tip.