Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

modelling text

jim dodds

Hello,

I'm coming back to Animation Master after a lapse of ten years. The version I have is 5, from 1996. What I want to do is to take a word and make it 3d, and then wrap it into a truncated cone, as shown in the attachment, which I've built by hand in CorelDRAW. Then I would want to apply texture and a bump map, so the letters look like they were carved from granite. If someone could give me a very broad rough idea of the steps that would be necessary it would be a big incentive to get back into this by updating to AM2007. I've looked at interface screenshots, and I can't see how you even bring type into the program, so I'm a little commitment shy here! :-)

Jim Dodds

post-10645-1172009241_thumb.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. I would use the Font wizard to make the text in the font of your choice

2. Since each letter will be separate, you can make a template and arrange the letters around the cone and then delete the cone,

3. I would use one of the granite materials, or you can use the texture and bump map of your choice

It should be very easy

• Hash Fellow

conventional 3D text can be made by right-clicking in the model window>Wizards>font.

But the exact deformation you show would be tough. You might approximate the various shapes with bounding boxes, but most fonts won't have CPs in the right places to properly define the curves, particulary any curve that moved along a circumference.

Using fonts to make a boolean cutter for use on a cone primitive might get a closer result.