Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Civil War Ironclad Ships

I've been working on this model for a number of months, and I've finally rendered something presentable. It still needs some work, but I'm very happy with it as it is.

This is the CSS Virginia, the first ironclad ship of the Civil War. I'm working on the USS Monitor, and I'll likely have it done in a few weeks.

post-9556-1170865866_thumb.jpg

-The Bird Man

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You might want to scale them smaller in the future.
Yeah, I'll see if I can scale it down a bit next time.

just a lot of decaling right? can I see the wireframe? looks very good for a beginner though

Actually, the model has a very intricate wireframe; 9291 patches total. Look closely enough and you'll notice the ties at the end of the rigging lines.

post-9556-1170893739_thumb.jpg

Furthermore, I've used a complicated displacement map to create waves, and simulated the flags with a wind force.

I'd render out a tour of the ship, but I really don't have the rendering power.

By the way, I've actually been working with A:M for well over a year now, and other animation programs for about three years.

...the model has...9291 patches total...other animation programs for about three years.

I'm a strong believer in detailed modeling but I think you could lower the patch count by 50% or even 75% and still achieve the same results, especially in the hull, funnel, and railings. (The patch count in the two flagpoles are more typical). Is it possible that your concept of modeling has been skewed by the "other" animation programs that are polygon based?

On the other hand, if your modeling concept is to never adjust a spline bias value, I understand.