Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Spline vs Polygon selection...some questions

Pesto

Hi all,

I've had AM since v8.5 and have always marvelled at how easy it is to assign cps to bones, add fan bones, smartskin, etc... My question is why can't you do it the same way in a poly program (C4D, LW, etc...)? I am just curious here, trying to understand. It seems that it would be so much easier to lasso select a bunch of points in a poly program and assign it to a bone. The problem would of course be subdivisions (right?). But wouldn't it be feasible to say use the model in "isoparm" mode (less subdivision). assign the points to the bones and then subdivide after. The software would then extrapolate the extra points from subdividing with reasonable results. Just baffling to me why it requires so much more work to create realistic joints in poly programs vs. AM. Now, if this is the most stupid post in the history of the forum, do I get some kind of award...LOL

Pesto

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just guessing but it wouldn't surprise me if Hash had some sort of patent on the method. I mean it's just so obvious compared to having to click buttons and root around in tool window to assign points to bones.

Not complaining here just looking to understand. Why is it that poly programs can't select a bone and then select the points (cps)? Sure you can select a bone and then paint weights but what a pain...rather have a root canal. Is there some techy answer or is it as simple as "patented software"?

I guess its work-method and implementation per specific 3D-program-developer.

It seems unlogic it being prevented by patent-law, however there are countries that claim the moon and sell people pieces of moon, those people have yet to find out their being ridicilous, both buyers and sellers and those that approve.

Niels.

• Hash Fellow
Why is it that poly programs can't select a bone and then select the points (cps)? Sure you can select a bone and then paint weights but what a pain...rather have a root canal.

It's not that they couldn't, but given the large number of vertices in a polygonal model, manually selecting them and assigning individual weights would be impractical. I suspect weight maps are the only reasonable solution to refine weighting beyond general bone fall-offs.

Even in A:M, individual weighting is tedious.