Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Pasting keyframes between user properties

RoyBU

I have a model with two user properties (pose sliders): "Twist left" and "Twist right". Sometimes I'd like the two properties two change exactly the same way for awhile. So in my chor I used keyframes in the timeline to define the "Twist left" property the way I wanted and then I selected all those keyframes with the mouse in the timeline. I right-clicked on the bounding box and chose "copy". Then I went to the timeline for the "Twist right" property and right-clicked on the timeline and chose "paste". Nothing happened. I tried the same thing but using the "Edit" button at the top of the screen and chose "copy keyframe" and then "paste keyframe". That pastes just the first keyframe, not the whole sequence.

I've already gone ahead and done the keyframing manually, but it seems that this kind of copying from one user property to another must be possible and I'm just overlooking something simple (as usual). It sure would be handy.

Using ver. 12.0w

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I did not explain sufficiently. The model is not of a person but a flat object that is (in a fantasy sort of way) flying. The "twist" properties have to do with curling either the left "wing" edge or the right "wing" edge up and down to better simulate bird flight. Much of the time the curling needs to happen simultaneously on both right and left edges of the wing, but not always (which is why I did not make them one pose). So that's a long way of saying that changing the pose is not a solution.

Isn't it possible to copy multiple keyframes from one pose slider timeline to another in one pass?

one pose-slider A for left wing, up, neutral and down.

one pose-slider B for right wing, up, neutral and down.

one pose-slider C 'clench' wing using A and B.

A,B and C can be animated seperatly.

I personally think animating with NULLs 'steering' the wings would be a better more free-er approach.

Hmm, I didn't really mean to get into a discussion of how best to rig the wings, but . . .

I use one pose slider for the up and down motion of the wings, since I couldn't think of any situation in which I would want one wing to move up or down by itself. I have two other pose sliders (one left and one right) which cause one edge of a wing to twist, or maybe ripple would be a better word, similar to the way stingrays swim by rippling the edges of their bodies. I DO want these twist or ripple sliders to be independent, hence my original question about how to copy keyframes created in the timeline for one slider to the timeline for the other.

• Hash Fellow
Hmm, I didn't really mean to get into a discussion of how best to rig the wings, but . . .
:lol:

Copying keyframes from one pose slider's channel to the channel for a different pose slider doesn't seem to be supported. I tried it (yes, I had my pose filter ON and tried both the KeyBone and Whole Model filters) but it doesn't work. It probably prevents unkowledgeable users from creating all manner of chaos by pasting things to they know not where.

There aren't many situations in which you can paste keyframes between different named items. You can do it to model bones, you can do it between same-named items in different-named models, and CopyPasteMirror sort of does it among "left" and "right" bones (however, naming my pose sliders "left" and "right" didn't get me much)... that's about it I think.

I have wanted to do this a few times, but the work around of copying each individual keyframe across isn't so bad.

If you want both the wings to move in the same way at the same time, you might try making another "master" pose that controls both the existing poses.

Thanks for the replies. Good to know it's not just me, I guess. You're right it isn't that difficult to work around but the absence of cut and paste in that situation surprised me. The suggestion of another master pose is a good one, thanks (similar to what C-grid was trying to tell me, I think).

Thanks to all.