sprockets Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

splash screen

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

The model looks good, but... This is just me, but I think acronyms have lost their power There are too many of them out there.

I'd pursue something that uses the name in full. Unless he insists on an acronym. Then you're set.

Hi Jason,

Up with insomnia and you ask me this, LOL! Be careful what you ask for and all that…

I’ve been ‘playing’ with stuff like this (‘flying logos’ and mechanical modeling) since 1992. That said, I am self taught in the ‘design’ area -- I am (or was before I retired in 2001) a software engineer – but I did seriously study ‘design’ reading books and such. In other words, take anything I say with a grain of salt. People properly trained in design (and that’s what we are talking about here) can leave me in a cloud of dust (I hired an expert to design my site though I did the logo). Anyway, at the end of the day, it’s the client’s opinion that counts though as a design professional it’s our job to steer him or her away from improperness and/or a design that is dated.

I will assume that this is a new logo and color scheme not intended to stem or migrate from any previous design. That said, if the client had another design that they used for any length of time, abrupt departure from this could hurt his business in many ways (tossing an identity is always risky not to mention replacing stationary, cards and such). A lot of what I will offer is of course just personal taste.

It’s clean, moves very well and the highlights, shadows, lighting and overall design are not ‘overdone’ and reasonably safe. It is, by design, slightly off balance as the center oval is not centered in the rotating ring and this, as a general rule, can be chancy as it can leave the viewer slightly off balance. Beyond that, ‘facing forward’ it would work well as a stationary design for stationary, cards and such and also silhouetted for a watermark or icon. Facing ‘backwards’ it does not fare so well nor look so good IMHO. The lighting is good and the beveling works well. It gives no clue as to what the client does but this can be okay. The color scheme is ‘safe’ as well as good – a few years ago red ‘was in’ but I’m not sure about now.

There are too many identical TFDs for my taste – making either the ring or center-oval TFD a cutout would be more to my likening. For myself, it is too plain – I like complex but that’s just me. Making the ring semi-transparent (a grid or glass) whose shadow or altered light would fall on the oval and, allow the oval to be centered within the ring would be my own inclination. I don’t like when the center logo shows it’s back to you – blink and that part becomes a red oval.

You should visit http://www.coolhomepages.com/newstatic/Log...er&HS23=Log

If you have not done so already – it is an excellent resource and shows you what’s ‘in’ and what’s ‘dated’.

I hope this helps you.

Cheers,

Rusty

PS: It’s late. Plz excuse any typos.

thanks guys

rob he likes the use his TFD name more than the final dimension

he says it just takes to long to say

but insteand of have tfd run around the ring i think i might change it to the final dimension and throw a catch phrase or something

rusty

just to give a little background

me and my friend both graduated from acadmey of the arts graphic design school after the graphic paths we split up and hit diffrent parts of the school

i went for photograhy and printing he went for business manement - marketing and programing

since i went on to learn 3D (with A:M) he stuck to things like corel

he came up with the layout of the design and had a pretty good idea setup in his head what he wanted to look in stationary but he wanted it to be moving on the site.

he has still yet to take a look at it so this logo isnt final yet but he gave me an ok on the desgin he made.

if he says to change it then ill repost a fixed version