Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Trying to create ice

T-Dogg

Can someone please tell me some good surface properties to create ice. I have been experimenting on my own, but I can't get it to look right.

I was trying to adapt the ice settings in the current issue of 3D World magazine from Daz Studio to A:M, but I got confused because some of the D|S settings are named differently than the A:M settings.

I decided it might be best to just ask people who specialize in A:M what settings they use. So I am asking... What settings do you use?

Any help would be gratley appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much Balck Mage! I am definitely going to give it a try....

as soon as I finish downloading all these wonderful materials. :D

That's a great link!

EDIT - I noticed the website says this:

The following textures and turbulences are necessary in order to use these materials:

* Worley.trb (par Yves Poissant)

* AMC_Crackle.trb (Enhance A:M)

* AM_fBm.atx (Enhance A:M)

Unfortunately, all the links are broken.

Are these files still available? If so, where can I find them?

If you're not able to find those files, you could test out these settings. This might specifically be good for an ice sculpture for example.

Transparency 100%

Index of refraction (IOR) 1.31

specular size 25

specular intesity 100

density of 1 to 4 maybe

If you're going for an ice cube that is a bit frosted on some parts, you may have to use a gradient or turbulence combiner - giving one node more density than the other.

If you're going for a glacier you might play a little more with the density setting and give a bit of blue diffuse color and give it a bump material.

EDIT - I noticed the website says this:

The following textures and turbulences are necessary in order to use these materials:

* Worley.trb (par Yves Poissant)

* AMC_Crackle.trb (Enhance A:M)

* AM_fBm.atx (Enhance A:M)

Unfortunately, all the links are broken.

Are these files still available? If so, where can I find them?

I found Worley.trb here: Yves' Worley.trb I haven't located the other ones. The ice material seems to work without them anyway.

If you're not able to find those files, you could test out these settings. This might specifically be good for an ice sculpture for example.

Transparency 100%

Index of refraction (IOR) 1.31

specular size 25

specular intesity 100

density of 1 to 4 maybe

If you're going for an ice cube that is a bit frosted on some parts, you may have to use a gradient or turbulence combiner - giving one node more density than the other.

If you're going for a glacier you might play a little more with the density setting and give a bit of blue diffuse color and give it a bump material.

Thanks markeh! I'll definitely try those settings out. They look similar to what I had tried to copy from 3D World. The settings they listed were:

Duffuse Color: White or pale blue-grey

Diffuse Strength: 100%

Glossiness: 85%

Specular Color: Lighter than diffuse color

Specular Strength: 100%

Multiple Specularity Through Opacity: Off

Ambient Color: Dark blue-grey

Ambient Strength: 53%

Opacity Strength: 35%

Reflection Color: Lighter than Diffuse colour, darker than Specularity; alternatively, use an image

Reflection Strength: 30%

Refraction color: White or light grey

Refraction Strength: -100%

Refraction Index: 1.309

Lighting Model: Glossy (Plastic)

Remember, those settings were for a different program, but some of them were the same in A:M. Other times I kinda guessed. For several settings I didn't have a clue so I just ignored them. What I came up with looked sort of similar to the ice material that was listed on Black Mage's link, except mine seemed brighter.

I hadn't touched the specular size or density though, so I'm going to use your settings.