Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Revisiting Live action

ddustin

It's been a while since I posted anything in this area.

Here is a clip of a case we have been working on for a long time.

The Lawyer had to go off for military duty, so it was on hold.

We were not happy with the vehicle interaction from the image perspective we had, so we decided to try a different image.

Originally I had modeled the environment from a satellite photo and was able to use it for multiple views in Live action.

It was a compromise all around.

I decided to model the environment to suit the image, which results in strange looking modeled topography, but looks right in the final product, which leads us to where we are today.

The lawyer is back from military duty and we are working on it again.

The Accident Reconstructionist and I have a disagreement as to where the truck leaves the far right side of the road (he is on the wrong side of the road). The POI (Point of Impact) is known. The point the animation stops is the POI.

I think it looks strange to get the truck over that far, that fast.

On a positive note, the lighting looks good and the terrain matches the image (note how the truck comes from behind the hill and there is a mail box in front of it.) There is no driver in the vehicle.

Once we agree on the truck path, we'll add the other car and then I get to make debris fly (my favorite part).

Critique away ladies and gents!!

David

[attachmentid=20538]

pd_9_14_06small.mpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Given sufficient speed, I'm sure a turn like that would put the truck in the other lane very quickly. But in this animation, the truck doesn't seem to be going fast enough. Were you trying to fit the animation with the data from the accident scene and that is why it seems unusual for the truck to move that quickly?

As for the animation accuracy as presented, there is a jerky movement in the sudden turn and not enough follow through considering how quickly it turned. Its almost as if a quarter into the turn the truck runs into quicksand and then the impact since you said when the animation stops thats when the impact occurrs. Maybe motion blur can help blend it better but the follow through would still be off.

Just a thought but, you might try to setup a camera in an empty parking lot to mimick this shot angle and truck's movement. The swerve footage could help you smooth out the animation by actually seeing how a vehicle would behave in a sudden turn.

OKright the speed is not the problem.

I have to say there is a problem with the sudden jerk movement I would make a smoother tune with the frames to try to fix that.

Given sufficient speed, I'm sure a turn like that would put the truck in the other lane very quickly. But in this animation, the truck doesn't seem to be going fast enough. Were you trying to fit the animation with the data from the accident scene and that is why it seems unusual for the truck to move that quickly?