Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Floating City - from Image Contest

jpappas

Hi,

This was my first time entering an Image Contest, and it was really a blast! I was busy the week before finishing off "The Door is Stuck" in TAOAM (check it out in New Users and give me some critiques on that too if you get a second). Then I jumped right into this, it took about 4 days, give or take.

I'll post some wireframes and other images here if anyone is interested. To start, if anyone wants a good laugh, here's my chicken-scratch sketch where this began: :P

-Jim

...and some wireframes:

-Jim

...and some shots from other angles:

sketch.jpg

city_wireframe.jpg

ship_wireframe.jpg

differentView_a.jpg

differentView_b.jpg

differentView_c.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey! Thanks for that, I appreciate every vote! :lol:

About the building decals, I created them and kind of stumbled on a few great techniques by accident. They're just simple grids of gray lines, but I overlayed a white-black Gradient in Soft Light mode over them, white at the top, going to black at the bottom. Then to make what looks like little windows I just used a Texture filter on the grid, I think it was Photoshop's Patchwork.

I made the decal 4 times wider than the width of the building, then I just applied the decals to the buildings as Cylinder maps -- works perfectly, even though the building is square.

Speaking of the overall concept, I've been thinking of all the influences that might have caused this to pop into my brain, and realized how much of a staple floating cities are in science fiction. I was able to think of these off the top of my head, I'd be interested to hear what others I missed!

1. mother ship/city from Close Encounters of the Third Kind

2. the Comet Empire from Star Blazers (Yamato)

3. Bespin/Cloud City from Empire Strikes Back

4. the one from that Star Trek TOS episode where the gas on the ground made the ground inhabitants dumb

5. Macross city in the SDF-1 from Robotech

-Jim :D

building.jpg