Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Camera question

mrollers

I don't know how to really explain this one too well, so I'll try my best!

I've been playing around with the camera trying to make real quick but stylish moves around the models (for instance, a 20 second clip with the camera basically flying around the model). The way I currently do this is to place the model in 1 location, switch to another view option (like "Fill Light"), locate the Camera 1 in free space and then transform it (zoom it closer to the model, spin it around the model, etc..)

This is hard as often times with it being wireframe, you'll aim at something completely far off from the model even though it looks like its aimed dead-on. I usually have to switch to Camera 1 again and then slowly transform it using the x, y, z axis until it aims at the model. I have to do this for each camera turn (and often times about 15 times per short clip).

What I would like to do is to have the view set to "Camera 1" but move the camera at the same time (fly-by's, rotating, etc.. as you would by manipulating Camera 1 from within the other views). Basically anything besides the basic "Camera Transform" that may make this an easier task.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can use keyboard short cuts in order to control your camera from the camera view, as described in the above post

---------------------------

playing with the ctrl + shift + alt buttons

in conjunction with the mouse buttons,

while moving the mouse

-----------------------------

i personally find this a little tricky to do

what i like to do is open up 3 windows,

have one set to camera,

one set to top,

and one set to front/left

then move the camera in the top and left windows

while looking through the camera view port

changing the view from wire frame to shaded with

9 should help u determine what the camera is 'really' seeing

(or is it 0, or 8; i always get those confused -_-;;)

When I'm moving the camera around, I like to use nulls

Create a null, (I like to name it "Camera Aim")

Constrain the camera to aim at it,

Place the null where you want the camera looking

Then you can drag the camera around from any view

and still know where it's facing...

If you need to look at something else, just keyframe and

move the null

Thanks for the help!

1 More question..

I'm just experimenting with importing images (jpegs) as objects in a movie.. Right now its just more or less a test (a background jpeg with a 3d model in front). Unfortunately, whenever I try this, I get a very 'blown out' image that seems to be reflecting the brightness off of it.. I've used the options I found (I believe Reflections, Shadows, etc..) under the properties of the jpeg layer, but I keep getting the same results.

Same with movie clips (its like the light is shining onto the clip). Is there any way to fix this while still having the light focus on the 3D model (maybe adjust the intensity that hits the jpeg/mpeg clip?)

EDIT: I think I found it.. "Flat Shaded"

Just my 2 cents, you could also create a path for the camera to follow and then place an aim-at constraint so the camera is always facing the model.

Thanks!

That sounds like exactly what I want, but I wouldnt know where to begin. Do you happen to know where I can find a tutorial or more info on this?

Also, I tried the multiple-windows view (one for camera 1, one to move it around) and it was a huge improvement. I was looking for something like that earlier (since most modeling software I see has the multiple windows) but didnt know where it was at before. Thanks for the tip on that!