Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

1951 Mercury

I am relatively new to modeling. I think the 1951 Mercury might be good for a start. This is the most original and unmodified pic I have found yet:

1951MercuryStandard.jpg

As for this one, Cool but NO NO, it's been modified:

sr-51merc-frt.jpg

ANYHOW, anyone got Rotoscopes for the side and back of a Mercury before I start modeling...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice choice of prototype!

If you can scrape up an extra $20 and can afford to wait for delivery, I'd suggest you buy the 1/25 scale plastic model of a '49 Mercury (AMT 6594).

AMT kits for sale

Even if you don't assemble the kit, the individual parts will show you things you could never get from web photos and line drawings. If you assemble the kit (and since it isn't the final "product" you can throw it together with a hot melt glue gun) you can take better roto images than you could ever get from a full sized car.

Other than this, Google's your only hope.

AMTMercury___49.jpg

Yeah I already tried google. I found a couple good ones but just at one or two angles, in which usually the top and back angles are missing. Some photos have those angles also but then they don't match to the other ones since their different models due to the year. :angry:

R_Reynolds: Why did you say prototype and why did you refer to a 1949 model instead of 1951 model? Is the 1949 Mercury favored more by hobbiest?

Why did you say prototype...

I was using prototype to mean a typical example of the object which you are going to copy using A:M.

...why did you refer to a 1949 model instead of 1951 model? Is the 1949 Mercury favored more by hobbiest?

Perhaps. For whatever reason the kit manufacturer chose the '49. I couldn't find a kit of the '51. I assumed that the difference between the two models would be insignificant enough that reference images would bridge the changes. Whenever I am toying with the idea of modeling some object; my first priority is to find enough reference images to make the model accurate. If I were in your position and couldn't find enough images of the '51, I'd compromise, buy the kit and build the '49. Either that or start looking for a prototype with better pictures.

Here's a method that has worked for me (although not with a car, the top view of a car might be a bit hard to get). I did this with the old IBM electric typewriter I'm working on.

Google for Ford or Mercury car clubs or museums.

Find "your" car... Email the owner and ask him to take pictures of his car... offer him "credits" in the finished model's information.

You want pix of both sides, front, and rear from the same distance. You'ld also like a top pic if possible... and it is possible if his garage has open rafters... but he has to climb up there to take them...

All pix should be from the same distance away, with one camera, car filling the frame on the (2) side and top pix. same distance away for the front and rear pix.

Believe it or not, if you tell them what you are trying to do, and if they are "into it" you will get someone who can and will help you. If they have a website about their car, and you offer them the finished model (preferably animated) to use on their site, they'll probably be more than happy to help.

It HAS worked for me... your mileage may vary... Good luck!

Final 3D-

Mr. R Reynolds is so modest...he gives you a great modelling link and fails to mention he is said author of the 'pearls' of knowledge within. You are lucky to have one of our best mechanical modellers helping you in your quest, this forum is fantastic!

Keep at it! I like your choice of vintage, reminds me of the 'Hudson Hornet' from Pixars 'Cars'... speaking of which...Rodger, have you seen 'Cars' yet? I think you'll like it.

...Rodger, have you seen 'Cars' yet?

No, not yet. A few years ago Hollywood and the exhibitors finally found the quality/price point where, IMO, what they deliver isn't worth what they charge. (Of course being in my 50's I tend to say that about more and more products). So I'll probably be patient and wait until it hits my satellite dish next summer.