sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Modeling Questions

hi all

i started working on my car modeling tutorial....but before i go on, there're some questions which i want to ask:

1- beveling...car body parts are rounded beveled..i've tried to use the bevel plugin but it doesn't work at all...and if i try to bevel it manualy the spline which is connected to the beveled spline curve lose its curve smoothness and bias values..i have version11,how can i have a perfect rounded bevel for the front hood for example.

2- each time i try to add a CP in a spline curve, the curve become unsmooth..and the bias values changes...is there a way to avoid this?

3- what's the best way to write a tutorial...as a PDF file, as a web page or as a flash movie ( not a real movie but the steps of modeling plays as slides )

looking forward to hear from you..

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all

i started working on my car modeling tutorial....but before i go on, there're some questions which i want to ask:

1- beveling...car body parts are rounded beveled..i've tried to use the bevel plugin but it doesn't work at all...and if i try to bevel it manualy the spline which is connected to the beveled spline curve lose its curve smoothness and bias values..i have version11,how can i have a perfect rounded bevel for the front hood for example.

2- each time i try to add a CP in a spline curve, the curve become unsmooth..and the bias values changes...is there a way to avoid this?

3- what's the best way to write a tutorial...as a PDF file, as a web page or as a flash movie ( not a real movie but the steps of modeling plays as slides )

looking forward to hear from you..

Hi Waheed, here are my answers:

1- I don't know of any bevel plug-ins, but, basically, when you extrude your bevel edge and it looses its curvature, simply choose those cps and click on the smoothe button (which is above the peak button on the right).

2- That problem is eliminated in v13 (I think).

3- I personally like the QT training videos that Hash has on line, but the majority of others have them displayed on a web page.

beveling...car body parts are rounded beveled...

First I'd suggest you get the terminology correct. A corner consisting of flat planes meeting at angles less than 90 deg. are called beveled corners. A filleted corner is the name for a round corner. It's a common trivial error but you might as well start off right.

if i try to bevel it manualy the spline which is connected to the beveled spline curve lose its curve smoothness and bias values..i have version11,how can i have a perfect rounded bevel

It sounds to me like your being annoyed by the way A:M naturally adds cps. By its very nature, when inserting cps A:M automatically adjusts surrounding bias values using an algorithm that's optimized to ease character animation not mechanical modeling. So your best solution is to build in the fillets from the very first spline not add them into existing surfaces.

You may want to check out these web pages for suggestions on modeling rounded corners:

Yves suggestions

My suggestions

each time i try to add a CP in a spline curve, the curve become unsmooth..and the bias values changes...is there a way to avoid this?

Before you hit the add cp button, hold down the shift key. But this only adds a new cp equidistant from the neighbouring cps on either side. To make a fillet it's usually essential to have two closely spaced cps to define either end of the round shape. If you shift/add a cp in the middle of a spline and drag it to one end to form the corner, all those bias values (which were automatically calculated by the shift/add function) will once again be incorrect for realistically smooth automobile sheet metal.

what's the best way to write a tutorial...as a PDF file, as a web page or as a flash movie

I doubt there's a best way but I'd prefer a web page because they are low bandwidth and a student can randomly jump to different steps at their convenience (something that's not so easy with a flash movie).

bevel_fillet.jpg

dear R Reynolds

it was a pleasure to have your help, i was more than happy

for correcting my mistakes...my respect to you sir..

if u have read my lst thread you will notice that i found

solutions for many things like the front and backlight

modeling and tires modeling too...i could simplify the car

body geomitry...this was a good step for a beginner.

and now...i would like to have your help, i'm not the only

person who would write this tutorial, Mr. rodney would put

his magical touches and tips, Mr. dhar would also share

that and will correct my english so the tutorial can be

clear.. i would like to invite you to write our

multiwriters tutorial, this will be for the good of all

hashers...i'm not looking for fame at all....all i want to

do is to show other 3d apps users what A:M can do...and

would show that car modeling can be done and the results

will be the same as their results...i got many comments

about car modeling in A:M...and that upsets me alot.

i will need for every possiable help that u can offer.

espically for the filleted part..this part can be completly

written by you if u wish....you will write it better than

me..so...don't mind helping us?

...what's the best car i can choose to model...something futurized and very cool....

Sorry, that's a questions of personal taste. One person's sweet ride is another person's jalopy. For instance, possibly you (and maybe a fair number of A:M users) think the car on the left, a 2006 Bugatti, is cool. While I think the 1937 Bugatti on the right is far and away cooler. As you can see, I'm not that enchanted with present auto design trends. At any rate, you'll have to choose a model that appeals enough to you that you won't lose interest during the modeling process.

bugattis.jpg

I like Audis, especially the TT. Your method is a proven method so stick to it.

Personally, I'd like to see the Deckard's spinner car modeled from the movie Bladerunner :D

[attachmentid=17014]

post-5367-1148660731_thumb.jpg

oh yeah dhar..give me a blueprint and i will do it

ok...warming up was completed

i drew the basic splining for the car...as you can see in

the image attached...smoothing not yet finished...

is there anyone wish to complete the those splines to have

visiable patches? i would upload the file if someone want.

one more thing...what's the best settings for a car

material surface...i would like to have a silver color

surface..does anyone know?

post-6866-1148665796_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hi again

sorry for not writing for a long time, i had some problems here and there, now...where were we?

my skyline is going good...i remodeled it for the tutorial...and here is the screen shots for the process of the modeling, now how is that?

there're some unsmooth place, those appeared after deattaching the parts and create the edges for each part, this will be corrected later with bias values..i can tell this one is the most smooth car i ever made....i need your comments and suggestions...thanx

post-6866-1150053215_thumb.jpg

post-6866-1150053254_thumb.jpg

post-6866-1150053325_thumb.jpg

post-6866-1150053364_thumb.jpg