sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

curves and angles

kthardin

I'm attempting to create a simple prop for a friend's use in Poser, in this case a Falcata sword (really nasty weapon back in the day, I'd like to get one, heh).

The problem is, when I get to the edge portion, the edge itself going up and down the length of the blade is curved, but on the sides of the blade, it's relatively straight.

The problem I'm finding is when I engage the angle tool on the spline on the side to keep it straight, the spline going down the length of the cutting edge also is angled, which makes the cutting edge look blocky.

How do I make it so that only the splines I want to be at hard angles remain at hard angles and the splines I want to remain curved, remain curved?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you select the CP, don't click directly on the CP but on the spline you wish to adjust. Make sure you're closer to the target CP than the next CP along.

Unfortunately that simply does the same thing. I click on the spline, click either smooth or peak, and it peaks or smooths an adjacent spline.

Well, basically, here's what I got.

facata_1.jpg

As you can see here, on the blade's edge portion, at present, I have pretty much everything peaked along its length, which is not close to what this blade's edge looks like. It's peaked to keep the splines straight as they describe the side of the blade.

Unfortunately, the second I hit curve, this results:

facata_2.jpg

That lower spline that curves is actually the lower part of a triangle, as the other side of the blade is actually thick and flat...they taper down and join at a point to form the sharp edge.

I would love to just keep one spline on that control point described as a curve and the othes described as peaks, or to be more accurate, be able to tell the ones I want to be peaked to be peaked, and ones I want to be curved, to be curved. This would also work very well with future projects I have planned. Any way to do this?

This looks like a spline continuity problem. The spline that starts running up the edge of the blade takes a sudden turn and then runs around the blade. This is the smooth spline. Another spline then runs around the other side of the blade, takes a sudden turn and runs up the edge of the blade. This is the peaked spline.

You should start breaking and reconnecting splines so that there's only one that runs up the blade edge.