sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Copy and Paste Questions

ArgleBargle

I want to preface my question with the comment that when you think you've found a bug in something very basic, usually it means you have a flawed understanding.

In a choreography, numerous times I've needed to copy and paste a block of keyframes and I've been unable to get them to paste exactly where I want it to go. For example:

[attachmentid=15565]

After selecting some keyframes that I want to paste elsewhere, I've tried setting the frame number to where I want the keyframes to go and then do a paste:

[attachmentid=15566]

Now, when I captured these images, it was my intention to show my problem. That is, the keyframes only approximated going to the frame I wanted. For example, I might get what what you see below:

[attachmentid=15567]

The selected keyframes would be interleaved with the original keyframes. Basically, it was a disaster. If I wanted the keyframes to start at, for example, frame 17, I might have to set the current frame to maybe 26. I say "maybe" because it was never consistent. I just took to setting the frame to later than I liked and then sliding the keyframes into place.

But now that I've described my problem, I have to confess that I photoshopped the above image a bit to show my problem. In trying to reproduce the the problem, I got a different problem (which I intend to report):

[attachmentid=15569]

My paste put the keyframes somewhere... but where? I did a zoom to extents and found where they got to. I had to scroll a bit too, but you can see what happened:

[attachmentid=15568]

Anyway, aside from the bug, precisely where is the paste supposed to happen when pasting multiple keyframes?

copypaste1.gif

copypaste2.gif

copypaste5.gif

copypaste4.gif

copypaste3.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be honest, I never paste keyframes in channel mode. Always graph mode. I'm not even sure if you're supposed to. But I never have problems (now) doing it the way I do and it does the same thing.

Put in a report to be safe though.

What version of A:M are you using?

12.0s

To be honest, I never paste keyframes in channel mode. Always graph mode. I'm not even sure if you're supposed to. But I never have problems (now) doing it the way I do and it does the same thing.

Ah, to be honest, that never dawned on me. I tried it now and it works fine. That's what I meant about not being totally sure I've got it right.

However, the other problem I've had with things in graph mode is that I'll tweak some points, then later discover those keyframes totally missing. After this happened to me enough times, I finally realized that I had points selected in graph mode, switched to channel mode, did something to another object, said "whoops, didn't mean to do that" and deleted the new keyframe. However, that delete took out the points still selected in graph mode. At least, that's what I've concluded has happened. I haven't been about to duplicate the problem consistently, so I haven't reported it.

I'm sure someone's going to ask "how do you know that's what happened?" The last time it happened to me, I moved a model bone a few times, then went to graph mode, selected just one of the channels and adjusted several points at once (I think by switching them to spline from zero-slope), then I moved on to the other parts of my chor in channel mode. Then during playback I found the model bone not doing what I had it do, but the points I had previously selected were simply gone.

To be honest, I never paste keyframes in channel mode. Always graph mode. I'm not even sure if you're supposed to.
I do it all the time - I only go to graph mode when I want to tweak the motion curves. I did have a problem with pasting keyframes, which I reported and was fixed in a fairly recent version of 12.0 (12.0t?). I suggest if ArgleBargle sees this problem again, he should try the current version (12.0t?), and if it then persists, he should report it.

I have a problem copying keyframes in A:M13, using the keyboard shortcut, (Ctl/C on a PC). Ctl/V works fine for pasting but copy refuses to work. Hash Inc don't see this happening for them so I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this?

It is not a faulty keyboard! Ctl/C copies perfectly in every other application I have. It just occurs in A:M and if I copy using the menu option it also works. Its just not working with the keyboard shortcut.

So if no body else is experiencing this what could it be?

Paul,

This may seem a bit of stretch... but I noticed that occasionally in A:M, my keyboard shortcuts weren't working. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard. The keyboard is on a sliding shelf under the desktop, while the mouse is on the desktop. The reciever for these units is on the base under the flat panel monitor.

The culprit for me? My mouse hand and pad were just enough more interference that the reciever wasn't getting the key inputs... new batteries solved the problem after moving the mouse pad and my offending meaty maw of a hand wasn't enough.

If you don't have the luxury of these wonderful battery operated gizmos... then that ain't it... But, If you do (and if I were paid by the word) we would both be happy!

I have a wireless mouse and keyboard. The keyboard is on a sliding shelf under the desktop, while the mouse is on the desktop. The reciever for these units is on the base under the flat panel monitor.

About the same here... and the last few days I'd find myself pressing T, Z or M to get around in what I'm editing only to find myself smacking the key harder when A:M didn't respond. I'm not fond of anything radio/battery run, so I took to cussing the keyboard. Then I realized I wasn't having trouble in other apps on the same computer (notepad, mirc, photoshop). Restarting A:M cured the problem, but I'm at a loss to suggest why I had the problem in the first place.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, but Noel and Bob Croucher jumped in and confirmed this bug last night. I still can't understand why nobody else is experiencing this.

Maybe I am the only A:M user with an Intel processor who is using the Ctrl/C and Ctrl/V to copy paste keyframes!? Verrry unlikely but it must be some strange combination of hardware/software/use. This is not the first time that I have found myself isolated by glitches that no one else can see.

Anyway, thanks to Bob Croucher for confirming the copy/paste bug! :-)

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, but Noel and Bob Croucher jumped in and confirmed this bug last night. I still can't understand why nobody else is experiencing this.

Maybe I am the only A:M user with an Intel processor who is using the Ctrl/C and Ctrl/V to copy paste keyframes!? Verrry unlikely but it must be some strange combination of hardware/software/use. This is not the first time that I have found myself isolated by glitches that no one else can see.

Anyway, thanks to Bob Croucher for confirming the copy/paste bug! :-)

Don't feel too isolated Paul, I was getting it too :o