Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

WIP -- Styracosaurus

I've put a bit of time into this and I'm fairly satisfied with the modeling but I'd like some suggestions on how to make the dino look more realistic. I guess I need to do some kind of bump map to make the hide of the beast look more real. I'd appreciate community imput on this. The models of the plants and the dino are all my original work, the plants with the help of a little program called "PlantStudio" available at [url="http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/order.htm"]http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/order.htm[/url] It's a very nice program with lots of technical options. Thank you, Jonathan

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks great!!!! Definitely some skills here. I agree that it needs some bump map on the skin. I would also consider putting some bump maps on the horns andbones sticking out. Some added scratching on the the bones would make it look like it gotten into some fights. I like it though. SeanC.

Thank you kindly for your comments. I agree that the bump map strength of the material should be lessened but I really didn't like the effect of the scale material when it was larger scale or stronger. I think the only way I'll get the appearance that I'm looking for in that reguard is to do it with a bump map that I create manually and I'm not looking forward to that task. Thanks, Jonathan

• 7 months later...

Jljhnsn Not bad. But there is room for improvement - not that I am an expert so don't take it as a dig. Overall the model has something of a square/clumpy look to it. The head shield is too thick, the legs and body are also a bit on the square side. Make it more curvey. You need to add some more details to areas where the nose horn comes out, put a ridge there to give it sme sort of mount, put some eyelids on it, add some toenails to the feet, ridges in the skinaround the top of the legs and belly (have a look at a rhino for ideas). The horns should not shine like that and need to be off-white with bump maps - like elephant tusks perhaps. As everyone else has said get rid of that bump and paint a bump map on it. It should be easier with AM 11 and the new UV mapping tools. Start with a totally grey image first then paint white and balck ridges into it. Don't be frightened of it just get in there and bash at it. There is a good tutorial in the AM 2002 Handbook by Joe Cosman. Talking of Joe, have a look at the models done by Egginton Productions to give you an idea of what you can do. I bought one meself and pulled it to peices to see how they do it - an invaluable excercise. Lastly you wanna sort out that pose. He looks off balance and needs to convey his weight on his feet more realistically. Keep plugging at it mate until it hurts and once it starts to hurt then you know your onto something :D P.S. Don't go picking holes in my Rexie :P He is only meant to be a caricature dino - not a real one :D