sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

a silly question?

oakchas

Okay...

I downloaded V 12.0 T of A:M and the Help installer for same.

I have attempted several times to use the help installer.... and it connects to the Hash site, I think, and begins to DL the files... A couple of times it "failed to connect to server" or some similar error msg.

So, I downloaded the Zip of the Help file HTML. I unzipped this to the help folder in the Hash directory (that was probably the wrong thing to do).

Then later, I tried again to use the help installer... It seemed as though it was working... said it had about 174 minutes left.... (and I'm on DSL, shouldn't that be faster?). Then all of a sudden (about 3 minutes later), it was done! It said it was installed successfully...

So, I of course, didn't have time to check it out in A:M, since I had to come in here to work... Did I actually do something right..? Do you think I probably have the help installed correctly? Or should I scrap the whole directory and start over?

Trying to figure out if I have something A:M maintenance related to do tomorrow before I come into work again.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...said it had about 174 minutes left.... (and I'm on DSL, shouldn't that be faster?). Then all of a sudden (about 3 minutes later), it was done!... Did I actually do something right..?
Don't panic! Your DSL connection only reaches as far as your local phone exchange, but the data you're downloading comes from several hops away (on links that are probably even faster, but are carrying everyone else's data transfers too). The download speed you get is (more or less) determined by the slowest link. The "XXX minutes left" is calculated from the rate at which data packets arrive, and early on in the process your computer doesn't really have enough data for an accurate prediction of completion time.