Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

adding sound to your animation?

Guest SandGroper

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my file is a wave file, it just doesnt show in the directory or where the sound files are suppose to go. Does size matter?

Can you be more specific?

It doesn't show in what "directory"?

Where are the sound files suppose to go?

WAV files in AM are just like images or any other external file. Some people have had problems if the WAV is in the "wrong" format... don't know the specifics... never had a problem myself.

Size doesn't matter... uh... well that's what they tell me anyway.

Of course a huge sound file may slow down or even crash AM depending on how much ram you have since it uses more to load the sound file into memory.

Vernon "!" Zehr

No, as far as I know, AM v10.5 doesn't handle mp3.

On location... it doesn't matter where on the computer the file is. You can load it into a project from anywhere on your computer. You need to load it into the sound folder in AM, the same way you load images. Unless you are doing something with libraries. I don't use libraries myself.

Like I said before... sounds are external files in AM just like pictures.

Just right click on the sound folder in the PWS and import the sound.

----------------

48mg sound file!!?!?!?

384mg ram!?!?

Yes... this could be a problem. Don't know for sure but that is a HUGE GIGANTIC SOUND FILE.

Generally I create really small low res versions of sound files for animating purposes.

At the end you could then use something for the PC (don't ask me what... I have no idea) that allows adding in the hi res version of the sound to your final render... or if AM can handle the larger file, you could just switch it out before doing the final render.

There is no reason to use such a large file while you are in the beginning stages of animation. I do the same with decal images. Real tiny to start... upsize at the end. This can speed up the process.

48mg sound file? I would seriously think about some way to chop it up into manageable pieces.

You probably won't be animating to the whole thing all at once. Think about how you might chop it up.

Vernon "!" Zehr

Keekat in the library causes no problems with sound files. However if you load Keekat from the library that is linked to the CD and try to save it... you may encounter an error since the original linked file is on the CD. This would happen either way... from the library... or loaded "by hand".

Libraries are just short cuts to files in a directory specified in the AM preferences. You could just as easily load keekat into a project by navigating to the CD or to where ever he might be on your hard drive.

Some people reuse a lot of things and store them in libraries for easy reference and access.

For instance the ExtraCD content has a library file that can be loaded into AM so all the content shows in the library window.

---------------

Sound file/s do not need to be in a library to be used. They are like any other file external to AM that needs to be loaded into a project for use.

You could have Keekat loaded from the library and a sound just imported from the hard drive... actually they are both the same thing. When you load something from a library it is exactly the same as right clicking on the model or sound folder in the PWS and importing that item.

Libraries in AM just make it easier to view and access frequently used items.

I personally don't use libraries... don't know why. I just don't use them. Personal preference I suppose.

Vernon "!" Zehr

There are many different ways to encode a .wav file... I don't know them off hand... but I know that some wav formats are problematic in AM. I don't know what these are either but I seem to recall mentioning of this on the forum sometime in the past.

If you were able to track down a free or demo application for reformatting/converting sound files you could experiment with it to see what might be the issue.

As for AVI... don't know about that. AVIs can also have a myriad of different formatting options with codecs and sound formats etc... that might effect compatibility with AM.

Best bet would be to find some that work (on the AM CD maybe) and if you can find out what is different with yours... you could maybe find some way to fix it.

Vernon "!" Zehr