sprockets Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

OpenGL or DirectX issues

Eric2575

I'm having an issue with my AM V.12p modeling window. Seems like I may or may not have pressed a button that may or may not have changed something in regards to the way the screen responds. Before today, the modeling window was fun and easy to work in, the model turned with relative ease when I used the manipulators on it. Today, after some quick key strokes, something changed. The modeling window is now noticeably less responsive, the model sorta jerks into position when I turn it and the view sometimes doesn't update. Very strange.

I changed from DirectX to OpenGl and back but no change. Which one is the better performer anyway, DirectX, right?

After shutting down AM and restarting, shutting down Windows and restarting, I saw no change, still sluggish display. I didn't want to waste a lot of time with tinkering, so I uninstalled and reinstalled both my video drivers and AM. After that I thought the problem was surely solved, but it persisted. Now that's really weird. I hope my video card to the tune of $360 isn't bad?

Anyways, that's where I'm at now. One more thing, The modeling window responds better in OpenGL. What are the differences between the two display methods?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Open GL should be faster (depending from your video card, but as a general rule nvidias perform better under it) and (on my computer) certanly looks better...

Hovewer, most probably the trouble lies somewhere within your model...

1. Try oter models

2. If there is a difference, you could have done something about visibility of the bones

3. Also check polys per patch setting (pgup/pgdown)

Those things pop into mind...

This may be a remote possibility. If you have Win XP, check your CPU to see how much of it is being used while A:M is on and how much it's using while off. My wife had a problem with a virus that kept her CPU busy at 90% which slowed down all programs she was working on.