Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Bender from Futurama

I am currently working on Bender from Futurama. I am still very new to AM and don't know much about complicated modeling. Which is why I started with Bender, he's mainly lathes and extrudes. What I need help on is his feet (I have figured out all of my other questions). The issue Im having with his feet is that when I try to put a surface over the bottoms it warps the rest of the foot-cup (pic 2 below). I have tried extruding the bottom circle and then making it smaller, but that makes "smooth" lines which bows out the bottom of the foot.

Any help would be much appreciated

Bender.gif

Benderfeet.gif

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have tried extruding the bottom circle and then making it smaller, but that makes "smooth" lines which bows out the bottom of the foot.

Any help would be much appreciated

Extrude he bottoms of the feet, then "peak" the edges, selecting the vertical splines that create the bottoms of the feet. Easiest way is to select the bottom-of-the-foot geometry, then press "p" on your keyboard. This will peak the whole bottom of the foot, including the edges. click on one of the horizontal edges, press ",". this will select the lathed spline. un-peak this spline; it's the tool button that looks like a parabola (i don't recall the shortcut key for smoothing splines at this hour of the morning)

Good work thus far!

Thanks for the advice, however (unless I did something wrong) I don't think it will work.

Benderfoot.gif

I did your method on the left side of the foot. I wasn't able to select the lathe line because it is vertical, so I just selected each of the CPs while holding Shift and then hit O. The right side is peaked, but notice the blockyness of it. I am wanting (an it may not be possible) to have the curvature of the left cup, with the flatness of the right bottom.

Well, I think I will just leave it bowed out. When in normal view you really can't tell.

Benderfeet2.gif

I made the mouth a little smaller, so I think it looks much better now (look at the first pic of the post, reload the page if nessesary) However, I do have a few more cosmetic issues I want to deal with:

1: For some reason there is a seam right there, there is also one just like it on the bottom part of the visor (there is a shaded, spline copy of the visor below). There is a spline that runs thru these seems, but I don't know why that would be causing a visual effect.

2: This one I may be able to live with as is, but I would really like for these areas to be seamlessly smoth with the rest of the head. There is one of these on the other side too. They were created when I pulled the CPs back to make the roundedness for his mouth.

Thanks for all the help.

BenderVisor.gif

BenderVisorSpline.gif

lordp,

There's a copy of bender by dan bradbury in showcase, perhaps you coupld get some info from him.

the shortcut key to smooth splines is the letter "O" right next to the "P" for peak.

You can select the spline that is "vertical" by selecting it in birdseye view.

You might be able to fix the "bendy metal" around the mouth by adjusting the gamma and magnitude of the 3 splines in the corner of the mouth under your number 2.

I don't know what's causing the seam at the top of the visor.

In my opinion you could solve a lot of your corner problems (both those on the bottom of his feet and around his mouth) by defining the corner in each spline with two cp's instead of one. By having a cp at the leading and trailing edge of a rounded corner you have much more control of the shapes on either side of the corner. You might want to read a couple of tutorials.

I refer to making rounded corners as filleting;

http://www3.sympatico.ca/rodger.reynolds/f...fillet_tute.htm

While Yves calls it beveling;

http://www.ypoart.com/tutorials/bevels-intro.htm

The seam along his eye hood looks like you have the bias peaked. Try selecting the smooth default.