Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Where to go to specify that it's a 'BUMP' map?

Kelley

One of the most rustrating things about learning a new app., is remembering where the tools live. I know I managed this once before, but for the life of me, I cannot remember where to go to specify a image as a Bump Map.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here you go Robert :)

Thanks Eric, but something still isn't happening right. When I select the proper decal and bring up the Properties, mine looks different than yours. [see attached] There is another variation: when I right click on a decal in the top section of Images, I get a Properties with 'Key Color'. If I open that, there are the three RGB color sliders. I'm missing a step somewhere.[attachmentid=13252]

PROPERTIES_WHERE_BUMP.jpg

Here's a wider view.

v11.1

Yes...but how did you get there? I've tried clicking and right-clicking on just about everything in the decal list, and I don't arrive at that place in the Properties. As I said before, there's a small, but vital, step that I'm just not getting.

does this help?

Well, y' can't get much clearer than that. Thanks. Now, I see my problem. I got so frustrated with going NEW>DECAL>Etc., [ I could never see the image] that I started storing Targa images in a file on my HD [Texture Vault] and using Windows Explorer to put them into another file in my Images Library. Now, when I need an image, I drag it from the Library [it having been built over a screen capture of the model] and drop it into the Modeling Window. I then get the regular box asking if this is a Decal or Rotoscope and go from there. Rarely do I get a yellow bounding box, but I can usually see the image.

However, this method does not make a hierarchy as I see in your tutorial. I just get a list of Images with stars. I'm going to have to re-work my methods. Thanks very much for everyone's help and patience.

[attachmentid=13266]

Feeling very much like the dumb kid here, but I just twigged to the fact that you open the star icon...and there it all was. It's getting late! [ LOL ]

PROPERTIES_BOOGERED_UP.jpg

Click on the plus sign to the left of the star to see the rest of the heirarchy.

Hey, pretty soon this stuff will be like riding a bike for you. ;)

Edit: Oops, I see you found that out.

A few more details: I notice in your tutorial that you applied a color map, then changed it to a bump map. Let's assume I want both. In previous apps., I've prepared a b/w image as the bump map. Should I do the same in A:M, or simply install the color map twice and make the change to 'bump' on one? Also, in the Properties, there's a place to enter a percentage for how much 'bump'. What are the ranges supported by A:M? 0-100? More?

I know what you mean by the 'riding a bicycle' quip. Things that had me chewing the carpet two weeks ago are but a mouse-click away today. I do love this app. [and thanks for all your help.]

You can apply multiple layers of different types of maps.

Sure, you can put on the color map twice (or more) and use one of them as the bump map.

You don't necessarily have to use a gray scale map for the bump.

The percent of perceived bump height is right below type.

You can go over 100%, I'm not sure how far.

Now, get to that technical manual. : )

You can apply multiple layers of different types of maps.

Sure, you can put on the color map twice (or more) and use one of them as the bump map.

You don't necessarily have to use a gray scale map for the bump.

The percent of perceived bump height is right below type.

You can go over 100%, I'm not sure how far.

Now, get to that technical manual. : )

While things are starting to settle down, and the learning curve isn't quite as steep as it was a while back, I'd kill to get my hands on a good Tech Manual. I got the A:M 2000, and the A:M 2002 and Sutton's A:M Tech Reference. The problem is, the first two are somewhat out of date, and Sutton has reams of good information on what A:M is capable of, but thin on how to do it. [as in, where do you click next?] I'd love to see a blending of Sutton and the manual that comes with A:M.