Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Butthead (MTV)

Well, I know that I start on a lot of models, post them in here, get help when needed, and then abandon making, much less thinking about finish them.

Recently I got so upset that I erased all my files, models in the works, all the hopefuls I did for two, all my ABC, and TAoA:M. <_< Yeah, that was stupid.

Anyways, I started to do this model, after about a week break from A:M. I am working off of two different size rotoscopes, not a big problem, but I need help with this oddly shaped human head.

To reassure you, I am not going to abandon this model because I get frustrated, I am going to finish the head, nice and smooth, or ugly and jagged.

I need some help, I think I have a good start, but need some pointers in closing the nose, odd shaped.

Also, when I turned on my normals, shift+1, they were all facing inward, the wrong way. I can fix this, but it will take time.

Anyways, all the help I can get will be appreciated, I am trying to follow the Freeman face in the TAoA:M 2006 book, but because they are so different I am having a little problem.

So please help me.

Here are a few pictures of what I have so far.

[attachmentid=12926][attachmentid=12927][attachmentid=12928]

post-7171-1136492172_thumb.jpg

post-7171-1136492190_thumb.jpg

post-7171-1136492204_thumb.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good start. Just keep laying out splines. You're not going to get it on the first try but with a tweak here and there, it will soon start to shape up.

For the normals facing the wrong way, it's not really a problem (most of the TWO models are the same right now) but you can select the patches and press F to flip them the right way.

You look to have problems where the eye joins the nose. Take a close look at how that's done in the Face tutorial...

PS You mean you deleted your Oil Lamp, mirror, chair etc?!?!

Ummmm....Yeah, but not worry, I just remebered that when I reformatted my computer, I put all that stuff on disks, so my little attitude problem, stupid as it may have been, didn't mess me up as bad as I thought.

Yes, the eye joining the nose always gives me trouble, same as the lips, joining at the corners, but I will just keep tweeking as you said. Thanks for the reply.

Good start. Just keep laying out splines. You're not going to get it on the first try but with a tweak here and there, it will soon start to shape up.

For the normals facing the wrong way, it's not really a problem (most of the TWO models are the same right now) but you can select the patches and press F to flip them the right way.

You look to have problems where the eye joins the nose. Take a close look at how that's done in the Face tutorial...

Well, you should notice that I followed the book more closely this time. If you didn't notice, after I read you post, I started completely over. To a much greater achievement, by my standards.

Anyways, here is what it looks like now.

[attachmentid=12938]

Here are the rotoscopes I am working off of, but I cant really just rely on them.

For one they are two different sizes, and I don't think Mike Judge drew them the same everytime. So, I am just using it for reference more than anything.

[attachmentid=12939][attachmentid=12940]

By the way, I never knew how much easier it was to work with two windows open in the two views you use the most. It seemed to make me 100% more proficient at making models, and faster as well.

Okay, so the nose is not exactly as it is in the drawing, but I tried four or five different styles, and final settled on the one that is above.

Crits, advice, erase.............. :lol:

post-7171-1136512207_thumb.jpg

post-7171-1136512224_thumb.jpg

post-7171-1136512239_thumb.jpg

Well, this is what I have so far. I have been keeping track of how long it takes me to do this model, so far I am at 3hrs and 15min give or take a few minutes. Anyways, it isn't a perfect match, but close, and after I add the hair and so big gums and such, it will look more like him.

[attachmentid=12976]

post-7171-1136577916_thumb.jpg

Odog, u dog. I must say, he's starting to look like Butthead! Keep at it and don't give up. This model is looking really nice. You will have an awesome Butthead when you are done. I can tell.

The nice thing about modelling after a cartoon character is you don't have to make it look absolutely real. Use only the amount of detail you need to mimic the cartoon (unless you need some extra detail to make it more expressive, but that's a judgement call we all must make).

Remember, if there is any places where it seems impossible to smooth it out either:

1) reduce the number of splines in that area and hook it in. Fewer splines = smoother model = less detail. It's a give and take situation.

2) there is always the 'porcelain' material cheat :D

Killer job thus far, Odog. B)

Odog, u dog. I must say, he's starting to look like Butthead! Keep at it and don't give up. This model is looking really nice. You will have an awesome Butthead when you are done. I can tell.

The nice thing about modelling after a cartoon character is you don't have to make it look absolutely real. Use only the amount of detail you need to mimic the cartoon (unless you need some extra detail to make it more expressive, but that's a judgement call we all must make).

Remember, if there is any places where it seems impossible to smooth it out either:

1) reduce the number of splines in that area and hook it in. Fewer splines = smoother model = less detail. It's a give and take situation.

2) there is always the 'porcelain' material cheat :D

Killer job thus far, Odog. B)

Yeah, thanks, there are some places that have way to many splines, but for now that will have to do.

I noticed that in not trying to make the perfect model, and just doing, for now, what my level of modeling can do, it has gone alot quicker and better.

After I get a little better, I will start removing splines that are not needed, I have alot.

Anways I have added teeth gums and eyes and chin

[attachmentid=12987]

The only thing I have a question about is; What would be the easiest way to close the neck in the back? The hair is not attached to the face, and I want to keep a cylindric look. So should I 1. just add 4 more CP to the back and connect to the bottom spline, and work up from there? Or this there another way that would be easier?

Thanks

post-7171-1136590802_thumb.jpg

Well, here is the addition of the shirt, and arms. I am having a hard time deciding if this is how I want it to be. Because his arms are really skinny, and I made it that way, but it just makes it look funny. Anyways, here it is.

[attachmentid=13061]

post-7171-1136838037_thumb.jpg