Comments welcomed

AMAR

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

very good attempt..... I notice that the car seems to be one whole object, the hood is not seperate from the rest of the car. defining these seperate shapes will add more to your model.. I can't tell where the door begins to where it ends, maybe it's the colour or material on it but it's not visually clear.. These little details makes ALL the difference.

great job either way, better than what I can do :)

the mercedes has seperate doors becuse when it's finished those need to be animated but i had no need for the hoods to be seprate unless i was blowing the car up or crashing it. My biggest problem is the smoothness. The materials and interior at this point is irrevenlant i need the car to look smooth overall.

thanks Darklimit you do great work but do you have any suggestion for the car lumpiness? I tried to used the porcelian material it worked but it seems that most people when they model unless there using a very detail mesh don't create separate objects and they model the car a one piece...........

Nice cars, Amar.

As far as the lumpiness goes, It looks like the CPs are twisted or wanting to go bent. iirc, adjusting bias can do stuff like that. What I've learned thus far is that if you're going for an abrupt change, try to keep the patches as squarish as possible, and increase resoluion of splines in the area. In the faces I've done, one had a problem kinda like yours, I deleted the spline, CPs that the spline was on and then added new CPs and Splines. ymmv.

Putting up a wireframe could help in this problem.

hth,

mike

If that area that's giving you the problem a door (and I seem to think it is and the wireframe looks like it) then maybe be this tute by Jeff Cantin could help you out -- it's about creating seamless hatches and may be just what you need.

You could also bevel the edges, ever so slightly (zoom in real close) and make the natural curves of the splines work for you.

Hope this is of some use for you. Looking forward to this vehicle's evolution!

thanks alot AMAR - I surggest where ever you want smoothness, an edge, or a sharp curve that you just ajust the BIAS ( Alpha, Gamma, Magnitude ) properties of the spline.... They really are effective; I used it when modeling my fishes where I needed sharp / smooth contours, now this can be a bit tedious if your whole model needs work.... So always remmember when modeling fewer spline produce smooth surface, make sure they are align properley to prevent creases and roughness.. This is something that you must pay attemtion too in the early stages of modeling your car or any object... If not you will have a hell of a time tweaking / fixing it.

keep up the good work.

Thanks for the comment :D I do usually do work with the in/out magnitude, and the bias i think it's because i tend to model so fast that spending alot of time on the detail isn't necessary because it usually a pretty good representation of what i'm creating. My cars probaly need more time spent for realism and accuracy.