Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Alien/UFO

Here is a small picture of my UFO, although plane, it is just my beginning work. As you can tell by my name I am a newbie. I will put my alien model in here when I get to my own computer. The other model is of course Ed.

If you would like to see my first short animation;

[attachmentid=10034]

This is my first short, it makes no sence, but it is a start. In Windows Media Player

Ed vs. Alien

post-7171-1129074997_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is not a short....a short is something with a plot..you stated yourself it doesn't have a point...

however, it is a GREAT way to get to know A:M. This is a great idea for new users...just create random, well rounded animations. you have a use of cycles, cam movement, some editing, some animation, and a pretty good choreography.

Now start digging deeper into the uknown realms of 3D....:)

This is not a short....a short is something with a plot..you stated yourself it doesn't have a point...

however, it is a GREAT way to get to know A:M. This is a great idea for new users...just create random, well rounded animations. you have a use of cycles, cam movement, some editing, some animation, and a pretty good choreography.

Now start digging deeper into the uknown realms of 3D....:)

Yeah, I know that it had no story line, I was just seeing what i could do with the cho. Anyways, i am trying to figure out how to take a picture of my model in wire frame so i can post it on here. Any suggestions.

thanks james

If you are using a PC, just open your model in wireframe mode and hit "PRT SCR" on your keyboard. That will place the current view in memory. Open any paint program such as Photoshop or even just good ol windows paint, crop the image to what you want to show and save as JPG. Once saved, go to WIP forum and show your work. You will need to browse to your JPG under the file attachments heading.

Pretty much the same steps for a MAC I believe, just don't know the keyboard shortcut for screencapture.

Hope I didn't misunderstand and told you nothing new.

I like your foray into animation.

Keep it up.

If you are using a PC, just open your model in wireframe mode and hit "PRT SCR" on your keyboard. That will place the current view in memory. Open any paint program such as Photoshop or even just good ol windows paint, crop the image to what you want to show and save as JPG. Once saved, go to WIP forum and show your work. You will need to browse to your JPG under the file attachments heading.

Pretty much the same steps for a MAC I believe, just don't know the keyboard shortcut for screencapture.

Hope I didn't misunderstand and told you nothing new.

I like your foray into animation.

Keep it up.

Hey, thanks for the help, it worked fine. So, here is the rest of my work in progress.

So, of course, feel free to hit me with your harshest words. Thanks

[attachmentid=10047][attachmentid=10048]

[attachmentid=10049][attachmentid=10050]

post-7171-1129101250_thumb.jpg

post-7171-1129101285_thumb.jpg

post-7171-1129101336_thumb.jpg

post-7171-1129101357_thumb.jpg

There are far FAR too many splines for the shapes you are representing. You can make the cylindrical shapes of the ufo with as few as 4 cps. For the alien character, look at tarzan or the hulk on the CD to see how economical you can be with splines to get easy to animate, realistic shapes.

Yeah, I still have alot to learn. I have had this program since June of this year, but never did the exercises. I have decided to put off any other projects that I am working on until I get all the exercises completed, and possibly the ABC, but that is not one of my prioritys. Anyways, January starts the 06 semester, and I will be trying for my A.S. in New Media Arts at Kapiolani CC. Thanks for the tip, I will get on trying to use less splines. James :unsure:

Small note:

On the bottom of your landing gear, you created four three point patches to close the end. This creates the crease and point in the middle. Unless you want that effect, try deleting the center cp and just use the four corner cps to close the bottom. Remeber, you need at least two splines to create a patch. If the four cps on the bottom only have one spline running through them (which I suspect), then you need to delete one section of the spline and add a second spline to close the patch. I attached a pic to try and show how.

BOTTOM.jpg

Small note:

On the bottom of your landing gear, you created four three point patches to close the end. This creates the crease and point in the middle. Unless you want that effect, try deleting the center cp and just use the four corner cps to close the bottom. Remeber, you need at least two splines to create a patch. If the four cps on the bottom only have one spline running through them (which I suspect), then you need to delete one section of the spline and add a second spline to close the patch. I attached a pic to try and show how.

Oh yeah, thanks a lot for that tip. I have been trying to figure that trick out since I started messing with this program. I think that I lost my first model creation, but I may still have it on a CD. I will try to get it put on this thread as well.

The reason I want to put it here is because I made a mask, and wanted to put round wholes in the front. But I couldn't figure out how to do that. If you have any suggestions it would be appreciated. I will add the wire frame when I get home today, so you can have a better idea of what I am talking about. Thanks again James

Odog,

In today's society... maybe that IS a short... to an oldster like me... it is just as disjointed as the music... :P

If that doesn't make any sense to you, it's okay... it's just my age, yaknow?

I think your splinesmanship is in desperate need of simplification, as already stated... but I think it's great you have gotten so far so quickly...

We oldtimers relearning the program have to go one step at a time... you are already off and running.... though I think that if you do the TAO A:M you'll be able to finish that off quickly and start on Bootcamps long before I get through the stuck door!

Keep going!

if you do the TAO A:M you'll be able to finish that off quickly and start on Bootcamps long before I get through the stuck door!

First, thanks for the vote of confidence. I know that I have to simplify the stuff, but I get so upset when trying to create new models, that I forget that simpler is better. I think I am trying to hard to make something look perfect. My boy trey, 2d artist, told me just to take it one step at a time, but I refuse to listen, and am trying to leap from the first stone to the last.

Next, I don't know about getting through the stuck door, because I tried that when I first got the program, and I can tell you that it looked like the 5 second delay video recordings. Anyways, maybe the classes i am about to take will give me more self control when working with the program. Thanks again. James

Okay, so I found my other model, my first one, so here it is. It has to many CP's as well.

[attachmentid=10066]

post-7171-1129162011_thumb.jpg

The reason I want to put it here is because I made a mask, and wanted to put round wholes in the front. But I couldn't figure out how to do that. If you have any suggestions it would be appreciated. I will add the wire frame when I get home today, so you can have a better idea of what I am talking about. Thanks again James

Please clarify - you want to put holes in the UFO, some kind of mask, or ??

Please clarify - you want to put holes in the UFO, some kind of mask, or ??

i wanted to put perfect holes in the mask on the post right above yours. I couldn't figure out how to make the circle, and then attach it without it distorting. Any help would be great. thanks

Two ways come to mind:

1. easy way: Use a decal of a perfect hole and use it as a Cookie-Cut

2. hard way: work it into the splines

Are you wanting the holes for the eyes? Post a wireframe of the mask - pretty sure you will want to remove some splines, judging from your UFO.