sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Mr. Ball walks up steps

Alright..practicing some Mr. Ball stuff..he walks up the step..I was thinking of having him jump off after this, but that's unoriginal...I want something original (not falling back down the stairs, either). Maybe I'll stick w/ him jumping off.

I'll aslo fix the seaping later..I just want the real basic concept of action then touch up later

walkingup.mov

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Pengy beat me to it! He's right about the squat. Try it yourself. Find something to step up to that's higher than your knees--maybe a bed. Now step onto it. If you crouch first, it's impossible. However, you might do a slight squat just after the first foot has been planted on the step, as a way to anticipate the shifting of the weight onto the upper leg.

Great timing on the top of the stairs. The stretching out of the right leg is perfect. I'd like to see a little bit of swiveling of the "head" as he looks left and right. As far as I can tell, you barely use the X-axis at all in this animation. Virtually all the movement takes place along the Z and Y planes. Give Mr. Ball some swing! Have him shift his weight from one leg to another.

Overall, I think this is one of the best pieces you've done. Your timing and anticipation are well thought out, and you've given the model some personality.

A couple of things bother me:

1. At the very start your anticipation of the step has him taking his step during the anticipation and there is not initial transfer of weight.

2. The 'take' is too bouncy. Hold the stretch for a little while before recovery - ie he looks then he stares then he recovers to step back.

To be really picky.

1. I don't like the stop at the top of the stairs. Why is he climbing the stairs (remember you are animating this character - not just making it move)

2. After the take you make him step back with his rear foot first. He'll be trying to move away from the edge so you should move his front foot first.

3. The foot placement in the end pose is the same as in the peak over the edge pose - change it up a little.

4. The steps don't really feel like they are showing a lot of weight. A little squash and stretch might help.

5. Vary the pace of the steps. I look at myself - I start fast then slow down as I get to the top. It doesn't have to be a large variation in pace - just a variation.

I recon this one should be added to the Animation Bootcamp as an exercise.

Cheers

A couple of things bother me:

1. At the very start your anticipation of the step has him taking his step during the anticipation and there is not initial transfer of weight.

2. The 'take' is too bouncy. Hold the stretch for a little while before recovery - ie he looks then he stares then he recovers to step back.

To be really picky.

1. I don't like the stop at the top of the stairs. Why is he climbing the stairs (remember you are animating this character - not just making it move)

2. After the take you make him step back with his rear foot first. He'll be trying to move away from the edge so you should move his front foot first.

3. The foot placement in the end pose is the same as in the peak over the edge pose - change it up a little.

4. The steps don't really feel like they are showing a lot of weight. A little squash and stretch might help.

5. Vary the pace of the steps. I look at myself - I start fast then slow down as I get to the top. It doesn't have to be a large variation in pace - just a variation.

I recon this one should be added to the Animation Bootcamp as an exercise.

Cheers

1. Alright...I'll take care of that

2. hmm, do you just mean to hold the stretch pose a bit longer and keep him staring then immediatley after that action, he steps back?

To be really picky.

1. I'm trying to portray that he's thinking "I wonder what would happen if I jumped off this stair set". Then he walks forward to find out.

2. I think the foot order is fine. Maybe I should move his body back more while he does both steps so he is always moving. I will check out the other way, just in case, though

3. I'll just add a bit of rotation to the feet so they're different

4.As I said before, I'm adding the small squatch and stretch last.

5. Alright...