Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Character

Guest jandals

Guest jandals

I wanted to make a character on which I could use SimCloth. So here she is. I'm really unhappy with the head, though. There seems to be a wealth of things I don't yet know about the face and head. This one's an improvement over other faces I've modeled but I still can't get away from this gaunt, sunken look.

I'm also working on ways to make the clothes more interesting (texturing and such).

C&C invited.

Rhett

post-7-1116632534.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post some closeups/wireframes of the head so we can get a better look. But it looks to me like the top of the skull is way too short, that or it slopes backwards too quickly. Bringing out the cheekbones might help get rid of the gaunt look. Add some eyeball textures, eyebrows and eyelashes, they'll help a lot.

Load some rotoscopes into your modeling window and overlay your model onto them, see how they compare. Especially from the side view.

Guest jandals

I built the head model using rotoscopes that were very low-res, which may account for a lot. The silhouette matches up well but I had to make a lot of guesses when it came to making the cheekbones and forehead and I don't seem to be too good at guessing yet :)

The eyes do lessen the weirdness a lot. I'll add some other details later.

Thanks for the feedback,

Rhett

post-7-1116661645.jpg

Your proportions are a bit off. Check out this site http://www.sierravista.wuhsd.k12.ca.us/basicart/faces.htm

The top of the skull is definitely too shallow. Typically the eyes are the halfway point from the chin to the top of your head, but here they're much higher. Was your side-rotoscope perhaps tilted downwards? A lot are like that. If you modeled the skull that way but left the face pointing straight out as it looks like.. it could have caused these problems.

The distance from the nose to the upper lip could be shortened up a bit too. Define your cheekbones some more. Also take a look at some of the headshots on the url above and see how the skin sweeps backwards from the nose. Your model has a very flat face, it needs to be rounded out.

Guest jandals
Your proportions are a bit off

You're right. I thought I was doing so well but I was WAY off. The shape is still a little off but I think the proportions are reasonable now.

Hey, I love your cloth design

Thanks. I'm looking forward to using this model with SimCloth. I've played with getting the settings right and have gotten good results but I'm eager to see how it all moves when she gets boned. I mean... when she gets a skeleton.

Here's what I re-built today. It needs more finishing but I like where this head is er... headed.

Thanks for the constructive feedback; it helped a lot.

Rhett

post-7-1116745669.jpg

Guest jandals

Here's the state of things. The front of the face IS a little spline heavy but I'll keep it that way; it'll motivate me to build a better face rig.

post-7-1116829438.jpg