sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

PoopiePants!!!!

So, I have not even touched any lip synch in like 2 to 3 years!!!

I figured it was time to overcome this speed bump in my animation endevaours and try and work out a better workflow for myself.

Anyhows, here is my first lip shapes put to a sound clip which everyone has to

love!!!!

Anyhows, if you get a chance take a look.

http://www.vrcops.com/PoopiePants2.mov

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL Mike. Are you doing that all with a deformation box? No bones? I'm in no place to crit this really, having never done a lip sync (a big hole in my skillset so much that I left mouths off my mini movie..ha!) But I noticed his eyes/brows make no movements at all, and they would of course. My guess is though you are strictly working on the mouth though.

Anyway, it matches up real well, I like it.

Hey Tom thanks for checking it out!

Yeah, I've only finished making the lip shapes and I'm trying out using the distoriton box as the way to handle working with the face.

Still alot for me to work through to find a nice "go to" method....

Next up, the eyes, brows and that stuff.

Thanks for taking a look

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

I love lip-synching- for some reason it's really fun to me.

I'd look in the mirror a little more on "poopy." In the context it is found in your clip.

A lot of people when they move from the labial /p/ into a rounded vowel /u/ "oo" maintain some of that rounded posture on the immediately following sound during the return of the lips to non-rounded posture. So in your case that forward vowel /i/ "ee" most likely won't be brought into the lips much at all, but will maintain a more flaccid lip posture, especially given the third /p/ coming around so quick- most speakrs don't want their lips so far apart when they know they gonna put em back together again as quick as the speaker in your clip is- had there been more time between poopy and pants, then maybe some emphasis would be called for,

/p/ with some prerounding for the: (In fact I would begin the rounding right at the tail end of /r/ in "mr." since the speak knows where he is going.

/u/ as you have it

/p/ more rounded

/i/ not extended much at all into the lips- still looking maybe rounded but lips retracted more- so not as much pucker as on the /u/.

This will also allow the lips to slow down a little in that section and not look so force "scripted," as they do now.

LOVE the "nts" in pants- that seems about flawless.

ALL IMHO. No real crit, just what I think could smooth it out a bit more.

I guess a few points to remember about lip synching that a lot of people forget are the SAME dicta we ALL KNOW about animating in general:

1: Anticipation.

2: Follow-through.

It's very true for our articulators as we speak, even though it happens rather fast.

No problem, I'm curious - is that a sustainable strategy in a film - to use the d-box? Or would you want to have a mouth/face rig?

Don't want to get ahead of myself, but right now I'm feeling

"To hell with face rigs!!!!"

And I'm someone who spent a long time setting up a face rig that I thought I liked.

Would I go so far to say that this method would be great for a working film?

Right now I think so, but I'm only early in on an idea I've been wanting to try

for a long time now.

So, I guess it's going to take more more more messing with.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

MOHAHA, nice one :D In some parts of the sync i think the mouth should have been more "O" shaped, but that might also probably not fit since his kind of "wide mouthed"?.. Anyway, nice work

I guess a few points to remember about lip synching that a lot of people forget are the SAME dicta we ALL KNOW about animating in general:

1: Anticipation.

2: Follow-through.

It's very true for our articulators as we speak, even though it happens rather fast.

Sure, all thing I've noticed too when putting lip synch together for sure!

sometimes hard to get things looking perfect when things are tight.

I did do something which probably has limited what I can do.... I made an extrememly wide mbp shape which hurts the flex to set up the "rounder" anticipation.

Well, it's only my first round through, which hopefully I'll have fixed up when I put this into the full McKnuckles body.

thanks for the words

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

That looks like a nice way to do it. I'd just worry about getting the precision that you you can get when you manipulate only cps or use a facial rig. But I haven't used deffo boxes much so I don't know.

That looks like a nice way to do it. I'd just worry about getting the precision that you you can get when you manipulate only cps or use a facial rig. But I haven't used deffo boxes much so I don't know.

You can jump out of distort mode and into control point mode just by touching the model or the other way around, back to distort mode just by touching the the box.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com